How to define new search templates in Jira?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2013

I am a little bit suprised that I wasn't able to find any information regarding how someone can define a new search template for Jira.

In my case I want to change the search template for a group-pick custom field, so it will list only few groups instead of all groups from Jira, for example groups belonging to another group.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2013

What do you mean by "search template"? The only thing I can think of is the .vm that defines what a user sees when you write a "searcher"?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2013

Yep, I assumed there was a place in the UI where I can define new search templates. It wasn't clear that this functionality can be extended only via a plugin. Thanks.

Like Vihren Petrov likes this
Stephen Coleman October 9, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 3.38.47 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2020

A picture with no explanation doesn't give us anything to work with.  Please explain?

Stephen Coleman October 13, 2020

My apologies. This wasn't intended as a solution or question but a supporting screenshot to the original poster's question. It was the point that brought me here. I should have elaborated more. 

0 votes
Seth Stafford June 27, 2013

He refers to the templates that are used by the custom fields, "search templates", I'd also like to know how to customize it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2013

Um, repeating the phrase does not help us understand the meaning. Do you mean the .vm files that are used to generate a page for the user? As they're called templates. Or the searcher type? Or something else?

Kevin Hoekman May 23, 2018

We have a custom field which is a single selection drop down list which has over 600 entries. The only search template available is very limited and only allows the first part of the value to appear. We'd like it to function like the Epic Name searcher where any part of the value displays. We'd like to select that search template, but it is not listed in the selection.

How can we get that search template to display so we can select it?

Like deepu likes this
Wesley Jones February 21, 2019

@Kevin Hoekman did you find a way to manage this? We're in a similar boat -- something like the Components field that searches as you type, but we need to have multiple values filled, like labels.

Kevin Hoekman February 21, 2019

It required custom code so it was abandoned.

However, we're finding a way around it going forward using python and running a robot that adjusts stuff for us in JIRA. Renaming and sorting so we can search alphabetically using the standard default JIRA custom field search. Boo. How about an option for custom fields? Atlassian?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer