How to debug Workflow Plugin?

Bernd Adamowicz June 29, 2014

For several days now I'm facing a "NetConnection.Call.Failed: HTTP: Status 500" error when trying to edit a Jira workflow in graphical mode. Simply clicking a transition or a status will pop up an error dialog showing this message.

Status 500 indicates that something is going wrong on the server side. However, I assume that the workflow plugin will simply trigger some kind of request which cannot be understood by Jira. But on the other side I made an in-depth analysis of the network traffic and could not find anything unusual. Also non of the issues already filed (e.g. JRA-27958) apply for my current setup (Jira v6.0.5, IE v9 on Windows). So I need a way to find out what's going on behind the scenes.

I tried analyzing with IE's Developer Tools and Wireshark, but no valuable information there. So the question here is: What is the best way to analyze and/or debug problems within Jira triggered by some Flash Voodoo?

Thanks

Bernd

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bernd Adamowicz July 28, 2014

Obviously this is a strange Flash plugin problem I could not solve so far. Solution for us will be to update Jira to version > 6.1 which uses HTML5 instead of Flash.

0 votes
Bernd Adamowicz June 29, 2014

Hi Tiago,

thanks, but actually this did not help. Same behaviour in plugin safe mode as before.

But I'm pretty sure this problem is caused by our authentication plugin we're using to connect to Active Directory using SSO. Actually we replaced the authenticator class in seraph-config.xml with our own implementation. This worked well until the last update. Of course you may say: "Just revert your changes". However the changes made are neccessary so a rollback is not possible without causing other problems. And it's also not possible to detect which of the changes made causes this error.

Since I'm not allowed to post any code here, I need some general solution to debug/analyze things, in particular the Flash stuff here.

Regards

Bernd

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2014

Hi Bernd, one of the most common cause of problems like this is related to third-party plugins, you may temporarily enable plugin safe mode and check if it brings any improvement to this case.

Cheers

Suggest an answer