How to deal with incompatible AddOns in JIRA 7 upgrade

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2016

Hi,

we plan to upgrade from JIRA 6 to 7 and the check tells us not all addons are compatible, for example the Agile Addon. How to deal with that Addons? (We don't use them right now). It's for example JIRA Agile and Bitbucket Importer Plugin for JIM. And there are some unknown once: Atlassian Hipchat Integration Plugin and Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager Self-Update Plugin and some more...

We tried a planin update with a lot dependency and class not found errors... and reverted the vm snapshot smile

What is the best way?

Thanks for ideas!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

JIRA Agile is replaced by JIRA Software, so when you do the upgrade, upgrade to JIRA 7 Software, and that solves that problem.

The Atlassian ones you mention are also not a problem, the new version contains valid versions of them.  The only dodgy one you've listed there is the Bitbucket importer.  The worst case for that one is that it stops working for imports, it won't break anything else.

So there's not actually a lot there that will be a problem, if you use the right path (Go to JIRA Software, not Core)

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2016

Thanks Nic for Supporting this. It finally helped to disabel all useraddons before and update enable after upgrade. There where unexpected errors on update, but after restart of jira it looks fine. Great!

Like bknight likes this
0 votes
Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2016

Hm, 

after a direct upgrade to software there are a lot of errors in log because of missing classes from plugins wich needs a upgrade for 7 for example the JIRA Toolkit Addon. And the JIRA only shows the oops an error occurred page. Is it a idea to deactivate the addons before upgrade and update them after upgrade?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

Yes and no. Most addons, yes, you can disable and update afterwards. But some have upgrade routines that aren't properly triggered by that, and you actually need them enabled. Very much depends on the versions in play. There's not a lot of them though, and you'll not have problems if you do the following: - With your old system, upgrade all the addons to the latest valid version - Disable all the "user installed" addons, except Agile and Service Desk if you have one or both of them - Perform the upgrade (to Software if you had Agile) - *Test it*, check logs etc - Re-enable the add-ons one at a time, and immediately upgrade them if there's a new version required for the new JIRA version - Test the addons are now working - Hand it back to the users Obviously, you should dry-run this all in a test system first.

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2016

Yea, Thanks a lot for this list. I'll try this. Is there a common way to avoid user access during maintenance? Maybe some JIRA builtin function? Otherwise I change the proxy before...

Vinny_Petrillo October 3, 2016

Hello Dirk,

Would you kindly update if your upgrade was successful by disabling add-ons? I am having a similar issue upgrading from 6.4 to 7. Thanks.

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2016

Yes Vinny,  finally it was. And there where some AddOn wich where old and during the year got part of JIRA distribution. So finally I did a plain installation of 7 on a second server installed my AddOns and checked the differences of plugin folders. I also had a version of 7 where there was an error after each AddOn update on UI but not in log and everything was fine. So I proceeded and finally after a restart it worked. (We use JIRA on a VMWare VM so I did a Snapshot including the Database before!)

Vinny_Petrillo October 4, 2016

Thanks Dirk! I am going to try this approach. 

Maria Thoma March 13, 2017

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgarding from JIRA server 6.3.15 to 7.2.7 and i'm also facing several issues with the plugins. My latest actions were to remove the user-installed plugins from the installed-plugins folder assuming that I will upload the latest versions of the plugins at a later step. After I managed to startup JIRA succesfully and I tried to upload the missing plugins the "upload add-on" keeps processing and is not completed. Do you have any suggestions?

Suggest an answer