How to de-activate temporarily an issuetype ?

Philippe Leménager
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

Hello,

We use Jira to authorize future students to candidate in our school.

We have in this project 5 issue types and I've just been asked to temporarily de-activate one.

How can I do that ?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Philippe Leménager
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

Finally I've found a simple method :

In isssuetype system screen you can modify the issuetype system associated to the issue type and drop it out of the list of the issuetypes available in the issuetype system.

Then, when user tries to create a new issue, the issue type is not present in the list.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2013

You do know that this means you have to migrate existing issues with that type to another type?

I don't think that this is the answer you are looking for - it's a permanent disable, and requires you to update existing issues to different types.

The only time this is a valid answer is when you have not yet used that issue type in the project!

Philippe Leménager
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

I don't have any issue in this type yes because the project is not still open to external users (student candidates). It's because we don't still know if we open that cursus (representing this issue type) for the next school year.

Data from last year have been backed up and erase from the project and the project has been modified for the new inscription session but it's not yet open to public.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2013

That makes sense. We didn't know that you hadn't used the issue type yet (effectively)

When you do start to use it, you won't be able to use this method to disable it, without clobbering all the issues of that type.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2013

No.

There are ways to make them unavailable (editing workflows), or at least difficult to get to (javascript), but they're all quite unweildy and probably not worth the effort if it's just temporary.

If you've got the behaviours plugin installed, I think that's the only thing that could reduce the effort from "swathes of code" down to a reasonable amount.

Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2013

as Nik says - easiest: add to create transition validation, that will always fail ;)

Suggest an answer