How to customize the share issue email template?

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2012

Hi everybody,

i'm trying to customize the share issue email template. In my case i would like to add the issue description in the email.

I have found a related post

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/53963/jira-5-share-issue-email-template

and a raised Jira issue

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-26821

i have modified the templates but i haven't seen any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance

Kostas

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2013

For a bundled plugin, you need to make changes inside the zip file under WEB-INF/classes folder or else the changes will be overwritten at restart. Are you doing that?

See http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2012/05/modifying-atlassian-bundled-plugins.html

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2013

Thanx for the help. I have a small issue with the field. I want to display the description of the issue. I have added the following line in the template:

#parse("templates/email/html/includes/fields/description.vm")

But in the email body i have the following:

Description: $issue.htmlDescription

Do i miss something or i haven't declared something in the template?

Cheers

Markus Wendland February 20, 2014

Hello,

i am stuck at exactly the same point. Did you find any solution for parsing the htmlDescription in the email template?

Regards,

Markus

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2014

Hey Mark,

you have to edit the email templates in jira-share-plugin-6.x.x.jar.

I have tested and it works.

Finally i didn't use the customized templates so i do not know what's going to happen in case of plugin updates or jira upgrades. It's possible in that cases that you have to edit the templates.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2012

The advice on the issue you've raised seems correct to me - you need to pull apart the plugin, change the templates, rebuild it, reinstall it and restart Jira - did you do all of that?

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2012

The steps i have followed are the ones you have described above.

I have done many tests but the template remains the same.

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2013

Everytime that i do a restart of the application, the changes in the templates are lost. Templates are going back to the initial form they had before changes. Any idea how to prevent that?

Cheers,

Kostas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2013

Er, that sounds very wrong. You should stop the application, put your changes in and then restart it. Do you mean that all works the first time, but it reverts the next time you restart? Have you taken the plugin apart and rebuilt it correctly? Tried removing the old one completely and making sure there are no copies anywhere?

Tsol
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2013

Hey,

i suppose i build the plugin correctly.

It doesnt works at all. After each restart the my changes do not exist in the jar file.

I believe that i'm missing something when removing the plugin.

0 votes
Rozi m February 11, 2013

Hi,

Can I make a hyperlink to email template (outlook) from jira issue? For example all the fields are flled just I should add the name and send.

thanks,

Suggest an answer