How to create sub tasks automatically in Jira

NPatel@liaison.com March 4, 2014

Hi,

We want to create sub tasks automatically after someone change issue status to Resolved. We have Jira 5.2.2. I was told by Atlassian support that is not supported as part of Jira features. How can we achieve it?

Thank you!

Nital Patel

3 answers

1 vote
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2014

You could use one of the builtin postfunction scripts from Script Runner to create a subtask with the Resolve transition.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2014

Create on Transition Plugin for JIRA provides post functions for creating subtasks or issues. Attach the post function to the resolve issue transition in your workflow configuration.

0 votes
Luther Hargrove
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2014

You could use the REST API to do this. This would be somewhat difficult to build the logic for it, but you could easily automatically create issues with the API when tickets enter a resolved status.

NPatel@liaison.com March 4, 2014

Thanks Luther for quick reply! I never use REST API in Jira before. If you can give me little more information about it which API to use and how to use, it would be very helpful. Sorry for dragging you in :-). Thanks again!

Suggest an answer