It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to create sub tasks automatically in Jira

Hi,

We want to create sub tasks automatically after someone change issue status to Resolved. We have Jira 5.2.2. I was told by Atlassian support that is not supported as part of Jira features. How can we achieve it?

Thank you!

Nital Patel

3 answers

You could use one of the builtin postfunction scripts from Script Runner to create a subtask with the Resolve transition.

You could use the REST API to do this. This would be somewhat difficult to build the logic for it, but you could easily automatically create issues with the API when tickets enter a resolved status.

Thanks Luther for quick reply! I never use REST API in Jira before. If you can give me little more information about it which API to use and how to use, it would be very helpful. Sorry for dragging you in :-). Thanks again!

Create on Transition Plugin for JIRA provides post functions for creating subtasks or issues. Attach the post function to the resolve issue transition in your workflow configuration.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Calling all Jira Cloud users! Give us feedback on our exploration of a new navigation.

Hi everyone! My name’s Matt and I’m a product manager at Atlassian. I work in the navigation & findability space for all our Jira Cloud products. We’ve been working on trying to improve the exp...

968 views 15 12
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you