How to create pattern text in task field ,,Description,,

Ostap vitiv June 15, 2016

Hello,

Could you please advise me a path how to establish standard text in task field  - Description.

Because when i was trying to create such pattern it was unchangeable and my description was under the field as a short description to the field.

image2016-6-15 16:32:39.png

My aim is to establish standard text in Description and have a possibility to change it every time while am creating a task or a bug.

Appreciate for any information !

Thank you 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

I believe you are looking for this. If yes, see my answer.

Hi,

Thank you for your fast reply.

This is exactly what i want to !

Appreciate Mahesh S!

Have a nice week =)

Dear Mahesh S,

Could you please help me, i've copied your script, it was working, but i've reconfigured several fields and now it doesn't work ((

image2016-6-16 10:29:48.png

What kind of mistake it can be ? 

Thank you!

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

Please move to your project -> Project Administration -> Field Configuration (will be available under your project's Field Configuration Scheme) -> Look for Description field & Click Edit.

In this page, paste the script in the description & Update

Untitled.png

Ostap vitiv June 16, 2016

Did as you described above, but it doesn't work:

image2016-6-16 13:15:40.png

When i am going to create a bug issue - it shows:

image2016-6-16 13:16:30.png

Really strange to me, what i am doing wrong .. 

Thank you again ! 

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2016

Your procedure is right. Please use this new one.

<script type="text/javascript">
var description = document.getElementById("description");
description.value = "Version: \n Precondition: \n Reproduction Steps: \n Expected Results: \n Actual Results: \n Additional Information: \n Sample Testcase: \n" ;
</script>

I've tried this one, the same - it doesn't work (( 

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2016

Please verify. Its working well for me here. Try the new script again in the field configuration description.

can i contact you via skype? Maybe i will share to you my screen 

my Skype  - Ostapiiik 

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2016

I will be glad for that. However, I am in office right now. I can join by 8 30 pm Indian Time. Will that be fine for you?

my mail - mail2mahesh33@gmail.com

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] These javascripts are not working in JIRA cloud instance. Was it disabled from the server end or something?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2016

Oh, yes, that's a direction all the Atlassian software is (very sensibly) taking - increasing security by removing the ability to run arbitrary or unsafe scripts.

You can't do this sort of thing on Cloud and it's gradually being removed from server as well (in favour of properly constructed add-ons)

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2016

Thanks @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] for your views. 

@Ostap vitiv Sorry, you dont have an option now, since it is a cloud version. smile

2 votes
Peter Geshev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2016

I'd recommend using a placeholder instead of setting the value, because, as @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] has mentioned in the previous thread, setting a default value will lead to a polluted system with many issues with the same default description which doesn't mean anything.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2016

18% of a 250,000 issue system is a lot of useless data wink  Don't do it.

Hi,

Thank you for pointed this out. It is team's desire, i am just configuring as we agreed, but i will notice this!

Thank you,

Ostap 

Suggest an answer