How to create jira custom field to support specific screens

Tharanga Thennakoon September 1, 2017

We are developing a jira-cloud-addon by using atlassian connect framework. In this addon we are creating custom-field through the jira REST api. Then the created custom-field is added into spesific screen using this REST call.

POST /rest/api/2/screens/{screenId}/tabs/{tabId}/fields

In here  the custom-field is added into Default Screen, Resolve Issue Screen, Workflow Screen. Problem is , we got an error when we are trying to insert an issue with this custom-field.

Error:

Field 'customfield_<ID>' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

Could you please tell me how can i fix this issue.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2017

Hi Tharanga,

A number of users have pointed to authentication as the issue, however, take a look at the last two posts in the article I linked.  One refers to an authentication issue and how it was fixed which is similar to other fixes in that article.  Shah also a recommendation to make sure you have the correct permissions since you're creating these programatically.

Cheers,

Branden

Tharanga Thennakoon September 3, 2017

Hi thanks for your reply. In here we can inject issue through the jira REST api. Its work fine. Problem is the customfield. When we create a new project , all the Issue Types of that project are assigned into a new screen schema. Then the key of that screen schema may be <PROJECT_KEY> : Software Development Bug Screen Scheme (4).

In our case, The customfield which we are created, is only supported for the spesific screens. It is not supported for the newly created screen schema which i mentioned above.

Am I doing a wrong scenario to create new customfield or Is there any other method to create customfield.

Suggest an answer