How to create an Jira Filter to automatically calcute logged worked for each issue ?

Jurgen Sërbo June 15, 2017

Create an filter to find logged worked.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2017

If you're on JIRA Server and have ScriptRunner installed, there's a JQL function you can use called aggregateExpression. Your JQL will look something like this:

project = TEST and issueFunction in aggregateExpression("Total Time Spent", "timeSpent.sum()")

Once you run the query, you'll see a box appear below the JQL search bar with this information.

timespentsum.PNG

More documentation on this here.

Jurgen Sërbo June 16, 2017

Thanks a lot, this function I was trying to find in Script Runner Documentation.. 

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2017

Hi Jurgen,

JQL does not calculate data the same way a SQL SUM function would.  JQL is a query language that will only retrieve data.  Please see the Advanced Searching Fields Reference for more information about what fields JQL can search. 
In regards to calculating the time worked for each issue, the time tracking function will do that automatically when a user logs work.  Once they do that you should see something similar to the screenshot I attached:

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 10.28.51 AM.png

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers,

Branden

Thanks Brenden

But now I have another question that I have questioned before. 
Can I use SQL to retrieve data from Jira DB in order to maker reports, calculate timetracking and stuff like this ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2017

You can, but you won't like it.  Retrieving the data on-screen for a single issue can be 30-40 "joins" in SQL.  It would be far better and easier to find (or even write) an addon that can do the reporting you need.

Nic thanx again for your quick response, I explained the problem here at my office but they think that this is smth nice to have because everyone can do those reports, so that's why I aksed Brenden if he had any idea helping me out.

Or if I will try to write an add-on by myself, what programming language should I use ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2017

JIRA is written in Java, so add-ons are easiest to write in that.

Suggest an answer