How to create a planning in Jira (Agile)

JohanT May 19, 2015

I am new to JIRA - so maybe this is a obvious question for most JIRA users.

For a software development project I have split all the development work that needs to happen in individual tasks in Jira. Then I went through each task, assigned those to team members and made a first estimate for the amount of time I think it would take to complete each task (I used 1 story point for 1 hour).

Next I created sprints where I bundled taks together that make a new usable version of the software. 

Now I am looking for a way to visualise the total throughput time of the project and the individual sprints. To me that seems an obvious question that is asked in every project. However in JIRA I see no such feature... 

I can set a start and end date for a "Version", but this is not computed and based on the estimations I have made. Also I see no possibility to plan individual sprints - only the sprint which is currently running can have a begin-end date.

What is the "JIRA" way of planning a project and communicating project throughput times.

I found TEMPO Planner which seems to do what I want, but it's not yet available in JIRA Cloud...

How are other JIRA users approaching this problem?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2015

Now I am looking for a way to visualise the total throughput time of the project and the individual sprints.

Isn't that the Velocity chart?

I can set a start and end date for a "Version", but this is not computed and based on the estimations I have made

Versions in JIRA Agile is meant to be used as a categorization of the issues.

What is the "JIRA" way of planning a project and communicating project throughput times.

Without extra add ons, you can plan multiple Sprints head of time. You just don't have the actual dates in them until you start the Sprint. 

How are other JIRA users approaching this problem?

Tempo Planner or JIRA Portfolio.

Suggest an answer