How to create a new workflow for a issue type in jira service desk?

Arpan Mehetre November 9, 2016

Hi, I am new to JIRA Service Desk and doing a POC using a trial(7 days free) version. I am so far succeeded in creating a Service Desk Project, Adding a New Issue Type, Request Type, Custom fields for a issue type. Next I want to create a custom/new workflow with new fields & transitions based on issue type. Can somebody please help about how to get started on creating a whole new workflow with fields, transition and status messages associated with it?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2016

Arpan,

I highly recommend you follow thru the JIRA documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver032/jira-service-desk-documentation-828800367.html) as it is quite good and you learn a lot there as a new user. Also, from experience, I caution against making a lot of customizations to workflow initially but rather start w/ the default and then tweak as you go. It is easy to create a very complex workflow that in the end becomes undesirable. Simple is generally best. That said, JSD is highly customizable (workflows, issue types, screens, automation, etc) so you can certainly do so. 

All that said, one thing I would suggest to get the feel of things is to simply make a copy of the current workflow, add in a status and the necessary transitions and then promote the workflow, replacing the currently active. The documentation will guide you thru that for sure. If you run into specific issue and have a question the forum is your friend.

Suggest an answer