How to create a line break in comments (inside of Jira project)?

Vladlena December 28, 2012
Hello! I have to create system comments involving several lines (inside of my Jira project), but wiki marking "\\" doesn't work!
I'm writing:

some text\\

another text

And as a result I have:

some text another text

May be I do something wrong? Or it just doesn't work in Jira?

4 answers

2 votes
Nitram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2012

HI,

It seems to be working for me, when I tested in my jira.I think you have disabled the wiki style renderer or in other words, your text field is working with default text renderer and it does not use wiki style renderer, to enable it, Goto Administration->Issues->Fields..->Field Configurations Tab->select the field configuration->check the field's renderer.Change it if it is default text renderer.

Hope this Helps.

1 vote
Carol Jones August 2, 2017

\n

0 votes
Luke Timms March 24, 2015

Thanks for posting this! I can now use these within the CSV imports. However doing so doesn't allow other markup, so although I have a new line I can't have tables or headings.

For instance\\ would have given me a new line\\ h1. is not a heading

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2012

While I didn't complete understand what you meant by 'system comments', in JIRA there is nothing special to add a new line in the wiki markup. Just press enter while typing and that's it.

It looks too simple an answer for me, if I have misunderstood your question, please let me know.

Nabil Sayegh
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2014

I have a transition screen where I can't type enter in the textareas, including the comment field. I guess the OP has hit that same (reproducible) bug.

Suggest an answer