How to create a incoming mail handler for all projects "EXCEPT" Service desk.

p.noack@samsung.com August 7, 2017

Before Service desk was installed it seemed to me that I was able to go in and create an incoming Email handle where I could choose create comments from email.  After that it gave me another page of options for how to handle CCs.  

I did not set this up and had no need to until recently.

Now I have jira service desk installed and when I try to setup an incoming mail handler I do not have the option of create comments from email.  When I do create a mail handler the second screen asks me what project it is for and I can only choose one project.

Has anyone figured out how to have an incoming mail handler for everything except service desk?

I am running Jira 7.3.1 with service desk 3.3.

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2017

Hi,

Service Desk and JIRA use different mail handlers as described in Receiving requests by email and Creating issues and comments from email

Here is how Service Desk emails work:

After the connection is established between JIRA Service Desk and your email account, JIRA Service Desk checks the inbox of your email account every minute. When seeing email message there, JIRA Service Desk will determine whether they are replies to existing requests or new requests. 

• Replies will be added as comments to the matching issues. 
  • For new requests, JIRA Service Desk  creates new issues by copying the email subject to the Summary field and the email content to the Description field. 

If a request type has other required fields, JIRA Service Desk cannot fill out the request form correctly. Therefore, request types that have more required fields cannot be used as the default one for the email channel.

Take a look at Receiving requests by email and Setting up the email channel for more information on Service Desk email.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer