How to create a board which displays epics as columns and rows as sprints?

Andrew Havens February 23, 2015

I was told by someone who is a lot more familiar with JIRA than I am that you can create the type of board that I am trying to create. I'd like to see a grid where the columns are epics, and the rows are sprints. That way, when I plan a sprint, I can be sure that I am working on the right amount of issues from each epic. How can I create a board like this in JIRA?

2 answers

0 votes
Gorka Puente _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 7, 2015

Hi @Andrew Havens,

As @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] mentions, with Comala Canvas for JIRA, you can create your own boards. However, you cannot work yet with epics. We are working on it, if you want, I can keep you up to date with this improvement in our support system.

Best regards,

Gorka

pd: @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] thank you very much for the mention! See you at Summit!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2015

You can't.

You can get to a "swimlane = sprint", but the columns on an Agile board are always based on issue Status.

To create the sort of board you're suggesting here (which wouldn't be a "Board" in the Agile sense because those boards really are designed around column ~= status), you'll need an addon or report to do it.

think the Comala Canvas addon might be able to do this.  I've not tried it with Epics, but from what I have done with it before, you can use almost any field, so I suspect "Epic Link" or "Epic Name" might work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2015

Suggest an answer