How to create a board that holds work in multiple tiers

Andreas Ericzen February 2, 2016

Hello,

I currently use a regular KanBan board to hold work for individuals. The goal is to create visibility of what departments and individuals are working on, what they prioritized, status, etc.

I would like to improve of this by holding the work in 2-3 tiers.

The first tier would be very high level and the board would only have a handful of them.

Tier 2 would define the work further. It is herin my question lay; how do I make it group tier 2 work under it's tier 1 "parent"?

I have tried a board showing Epics as line items and then when you open it up, you can have the tier 2 work under each one.

But, I like the look of the "regular/ board more where the work is structured as blocks within columns and swimlanes.

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Andreas

2 answers

0 votes
Andreas Ericzen February 4, 2016

Tanks for the answer Doug!

This is pretty much the same conclusion I came to..

I structured the work with Epic, Feature and Story, the filtered the swimlanes on Epics.

I also used quick filters to be able to include/exclude Feature and Story items.

How do you propose I use card colors to further organize the work?

Thanks again!

A

0 votes
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2016

Here's an approach that might give you an idea to start from: Use a kanban board that includes all the work. Use a filter on epics to define swim lanes, Use card colors and quick filters to differentiate between tier one and tier two work within the swim lane.

Suggest an answer