How to create a Sub-task the same status as the parent Issue?

MajoG May 20, 2013

Hi everyone!

I have the following workflow:

Open > Design > Development > Testing > Testing UAT > Closed

I want to know if the following this can be done:

1) Only allow users to create sub-task in the states: Design, Development, Testing

2) When an user creates an issue in one state, the sub-task goes to Open. But I want that the sub-task to be created in the same state as the issue parent.

I've been reading but I don't find a solution or an impediment to do this things.

Cheers, Mage

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AmandaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

Hey Mage,

I'm not sure how it works with Nic suggestion, but just want to share with you something that for writing JIRA event listeners, you can have a look at:

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Writing+JIRA+event+listeners+with+the+atlassian-event+library

Cheers

1 vote
MajoG May 28, 2013

Hi Amanda!

Thanks for the tutorial!

Cheers, Mage

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2013

1) Yes and no.

To start with, the yes - all you do is define a new workflow, which has "Create" go to "Design". You then create a "workflow scheme" that says "for top level issues, use old workflow, and for sub-task types, use the new one". Associate that with the project, and you're done.

But the "no" bit - a workflow has one single entry point. You can only Create issues in one status. So it will ALWAYS be "design" in the scheme I outlined above.

2) You can't do this. Issues are created in one status.

But... answer 3... what you can do for both question 2 and the "no" in question 1: Find or write a "listener" that will spot sub-task "create" events, scan the parent for what that status is, and then push the sub-task into the right status.

MajoG May 21, 2013

Hi Nic!!!

Thanks so much for your quick answer!

Do you know how to write a listener?

Thanks a lot again!

Cheers, Mage

Like Nero Mars likes this

Suggest an answer