How to create a JRA project that you can access without being logged on?

Raphael Allegre February 24, 2013

Hi,

I was checking the "Issue collector" feature and it's great but I was wondering if something exists to not only create an issue from an external web page but also track status changes, comments and so on.

The idea is to create a JIRA project and to configure it so that not logged users can access it to create and track issues.

Cheers,

Raphael

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2013

The simple answer is to create a permission scheme that allows the group "anyone" to do things within it - browse and create being the most important ones.

However, if you're going to do that, bear in mind that it will be available to the whole world to see and create issues (and anything else you allow to "anyone"). Whilst changes will be logged, you won't have any identification for them because there is no login. So, I could create an issue, and someone else could see/comment/edit/whatever, and all you know about it is "anonymous did X".

So, if you're going to do this, think very carefully about how public you want it and what the implications of not having any login is!

Raphael Allegre February 24, 2013

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your answer, I was actually looking at the group "anyone".

But I agree with you, I do need users with a login, specially for bugs tracking.

Do you know who I should talk with regarding the usage of JIRA for an open source project?

The idea is to replace our existing tracker system by JIRA: http://www.bonitasoft.org/

Cheers,

Raphael

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2013

If it's going to be completely open to "anyone" to create issues, then I'd highly recommend

• Only doing it in one project
  • Adding a field, or fields, to prompt the user for some form of identity information. It won't tie into Jira's user base, but if you ask them for things like a name and organisation, you can at least find them again to respond.
  • Consider letting "anyone" have only create, browse and maybe comment - keep the changes they can make minimal, and if you need them to get more involved, do the human thing and ask them if they want a full account etc.

sales at atlassian dot com - they'll talk to you about open source licencing

Suggest an answer