How to correct a f***ed up menu item?

Anja Gawlik April 27, 2017

Unbenannt.png

Hello everybody!

Somehow someone who was in my new company before me managed to f**k up the Dashboard-Link in the top menu (in German "Startseite"). I have searched through the filesystem and the translation-files, but I cannot find where this "S<u>t</u>artseite" is coming from. Can anyone point me to the source of this?

Thanks a lot!!

Greetz, Anja

7 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastian O_ June 1, 2017

Found the solution: Older version of JIRA got a "German (Germany) Language Pack" as Plugin. I have removed the Plugin with an other update but it came back with the last update. After disabling the plugin the spelling mistake was away.

Anja Gawlik June 1, 2017

Yippieh! That worked for me too! Strange enough that in "safe mode", where all plugins should be deactivated, the mistake was still there.. 
Thanks man!!

0 votes
Jaume Llardén February 9, 2018

I encountered this issue after doing a fresh install of Jira Software 7.7.1.

I could reproduce it on two test systems and our productive system.

I ended up uncompressing <installation path>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins/jira-core-language-pack-de_DE-7.7.1.v20180122100646.jar, correcting these two keys:

com/atlassian/jira/web/action/JiraWebActionSupport_de_DE.properties:alt.text.home=S<u>t</u>artseite
com/atlassian/jira/web/action/JiraWebActionSupport_de_DE.properties:menu.dashboard.header=S<u>t</u>artseite

compressing it back and replacing the original file with the newly generated file. After a Jira restart, the menu bar was correct.

Marian Brandzanic February 20, 2018

Hi Jaume, where did you find those keys in this uncompressing jar? In wich file? Thx

Jaume Llardén February 25, 2018

Sorry for not being clear enough in my comment... After uncompressing <installation path>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins/jira-core-language-pack-de_DE-7.7.1.v20180122100646.jar look for this file in subfolder com/atlassian/jira/web/action/:

JiraWebActionSupport_de_DE.properties

There you will find these keys:

• alt.text.home
  • menu.dashboard.header

Correct them and restart Jira.

Jaume Llardén February 26, 2018

I just found out that versions 7.7.2 and 7.8.0 solve this issue, see: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-66732?src=confmacro

0 votes
Sebastian O_ May 18, 2017

Same behavoir in our german JIRA 7.2.4 environment. The error occured after updating from JIRA 6.x. Interesting thing is that a second german JIRA 7.2.4 instance doesn't have the problem. This instance was a fresh installation with JIRA 7.0.4. Does anyone have a solution for the problem?

Anja Gawlik May 18, 2017

We are on 7.2.7 now and it may well have happened because of the update a few months ago. Unfortunatelly all admins use jira set to English.

I think we may have a trace here...

0 votes
Alexander Post _venITure_ May 8, 2017

A customer of us does have the same problem. I didn't find the cause. I know that the clean version (without Addons) does not have this bug. 

My workaround is to intall InProduct (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.translations.jira.inproduct/server/overview) and translate it manually. 

Otherwise you need to deaktivate all user-installed Add-Ons and active each again to find the cause. 

Installing a newer language file did not help.

Anja Gawlik May 9, 2017

I have deactivated all plugins in the staging environment and it was still there. But thank you for the link, this may help :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2017

It looks like a botched attempt to "translate" the word Dashboard.  You've checked the file system which is exactly where I'd start, but the translations are bundled up into compressed files - did you check those too?

Also, do you have a developer tool like firebug you can use to inspect the raw html of the button?  To see if it's coming out with the html tags plain, or they're being inserted later by javascript?

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2017

Another place to check is the 'Announcement Banner' to see if there is any code in there:

Look at Admin > System > Announcement Banner (find it under the 'User Interface' heading).

I probably should have said more clearly that it is the top menu where the problem is. The announcement banner is completely empty.

Thanks anyway! 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

I mentioned this becasue it's possible to include JavaScript code in the announcement banner that alters the appearance of the top menu.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2017

It could be coming from an add-on. Check the list of user installed add-ons under UPM and disable the suspicious ones to see if it is removed.

I switched to safe mode, but the error is still there. Do you know, where in the database or filesystem the words for the top menu are stored?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2017

Check under System Information to find out modified files in a standard JIRA installation. Maybe one of the files is modified to include the new item.

Suggest an answer