How to copy Zephyr Test to another project?

Eldon Wong February 7, 2014

When I Search Test Executions, select a few tests, then select Tools --> Copy to Cycle, I can't copy it to a different project. Why is this? If it's true that I can't copy it to a different project, then why make it even possible to select "Project" in that "Bulk Copy to existing/new Cycle" dialog?

6 answers

2 votes
Agata Szybowska May 6, 2014

Indeed, unfortunate.

I am just evaluating the whole solution, and when I noticed the Copy to another cycle with project option, I got so excited that I actually didn't notice at first that the end message says my tests were not copied.

I follow on the initial question - if you can only copy within same project, why in the first place have the combo to select a project?

As much as I was excited at first, I am really disappointed now. This would be a HUGE point to make when I throw a demo. I have setup one jira project only to keep non-regression test and cycles. I am suing structure to put order in them. I want people to be able to quickly and easily select tests they need for their project and copy them. No test will be executed in the regression project itself.

The workarounds are possibly, but I am trying to sell JIRa+Zephyr solution on easy of use and flexibility mostly, so that's a drawback.

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2014

Agata, if you're using Structure, you can try "Copy Structure" functionality that can clone your existing template structure into another project. This is supposed to also work for Zephyr tests. See https://wiki.almworks.com/x/gQBgfor details.

-- Igor

1 vote
Alex Lomas August 27, 2015

Very surprised that this functionality isn't present in a test management solution! If we cannot copy test cases between projects we can't really use this product for regression testing. 

0 votes
Joe.Bransby April 1, 2021

There is a simple solution to this issue - create a csv file with all your test case details in the correct format to be able to import into Zephyr.  Save in a shared area for anyone that needs access and just import them for each new project.  Is quick and simlple once you have the csv file(s) set up.

0 votes
Udaya Toram March 16, 2016

I think I got something that may help all of us: Let me know .

It is the "Copy Structure" functionality that can clone your existing template structure into another project. 

NOTE: Before we start using this feature - Breakdown of STRUCTURE should be by functionality.This will allow teams to copy only what they want to map between projects.

Step 1 – Navigate to Structure / Manage Structures / ALL /

ONLY STRUCTURE that has been shared with all Jira users will be visible.

(In order to do this - structure should be available to ALL and permissions can be setup from below page.)

Step 2 - Select COPY link under Operations column for the structure you want to use test cases from. Let Copy complete.

Step 3 - After copy is complete – each original test case Key # associated with Project A will be given a new Key# associated with Project B.

Step 4 - Go to Project A Test Cycle and search for key# of this new test case from Project B that just got added. Test case successfully added.

Elena Moussikaev July 20, 2017

but if you do it you are loosing all the steps. What should be done to keep all the test steps?

Like Hatice Esra Algan likes this
0 votes
Agata Szybowska May 11, 2014

As I said, I know there are workarounds possible, but having the option to copy to different cycle in different project as the option in the menu suggest is super easy and functional. Workarounds require to use different tools, pages and so on, instead of working from one place.

0 votes
Emily Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2014

Hi Eldon,

Currently there is not a way to do what it is you are looking for in Zephyr for JIRA. Zephyr for JIRA is 100% project based. This means that you can not copy or share test cases or test cycles between projects. The tests and cycles that you have in each projects will be there and only there.

There are two ways to get tests out of one project and into another. One is to export the tests out of project A and then import them into project B.

The other is to copy the test case you want to add to another project. Once copied, you can move the copied test case to another project using the JIRA move abilities.

However, what you are seeking is available in our Zephyr Enterprise Edition. In Zephyr Enterprise you can easily copy tests from one project to antoher. Meaning, you can have one main project that contains all the test cases, and then the other projects and copy the tests out of the main project as they need them.

Kind Regards,

Emily

Eldon Wong February 24, 2014

This is unfortunate.

Our scenario is that we have projects that are definitely different products and defined as different projects, but could affect common areas as other products. There are regression tests that we need to run that are common to multiple products and projects. If we had the original tests in ProjA, then export it to ProjB to run, any updates we make to the tests while running them in ProjB will need to be back ported into ProjA.

Tedd Terry June 8, 2014

We're in a similar boat. Even not being able to copy a Test issue from one project to another seems like an unnecessary restriction that hampers the spin-up of new projects which need similar tests.

Deleted user August 24, 2015

Where can I find more information on Zephyr Enterprise Edition? Is that still an active product and if so how can I find purchasing/pricing information?

Anuroj Shakya October 6, 2016

It is very sad to know copy tests to another project feature is not available in JIRA. I just cloned and moved 16 tests to another project. Really, JIRA should fix this bug.

Suggest an answer