How to control that users have a Fair Usage of REST calls ?

Vincent Thoulé _Alkaes_ April 10, 2017

Since JIRA stopped the usage of XML/RPC Calls and most of screen are based on REST calls, the option "Accept remote API calls" has been removed with JIRA 7.x, since it had no more sense ...

But now, how can we control that users have a Fair Usage of REST APIs ?

Is there a way to control :

• The volume/frequency of login for an account ?
  • The volume of REST call

The idea is to be able to identify non-human calls and be able to mesuare  the impact of their activity.

Thanks by advance.

Vincent

1 answer

0 votes
Claudio Ombrella April 13, 2017

Hi Vincent:

The only tip I would have is to access the JIRA logs and look for the URLs of the REST calls, if you are on Linux a cat and grep command piping to 'wc -l' will give you the number of calls. Please consider refining the URL you want to search as JIRA itself uses REST for example to run a gadget and you may exclude those.

Best regards
Claudio Ombrella

Vincent Thoulé _Alkaes_ April 13, 2017

Thanks Claudio,

I have already thought about a such solution based on log analisys, and I know about REST calls done by JIRA and many other plugins (I am developping such plugin).

My hope was to find a more real-time solution. Since REST is opened to every users, the more technical profiles are trying many thinks ... also we met a script executed on client side that was executed every 20 seconds and caused many load on server.

We found it my analysing the logs, but the expected solution is to be able to identify them before they cause impact on JIRA.

If I do not find a easy solution that identify such activity, I will probably study for a dedicated development (ServletFilter, ...).

Vincent

Suggest an answer