How to configure outbound REST API in JIRA?

Srini T April 23, 2015

Is there an outbound REST  functionality within JIRA that will allow it to send status changes or notifications to an endpoint?

2 answers

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2015

Take a look at webhooks (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Webhooks). They are usable on post functions.

Srini T April 24, 2015

The webhook will post data to the URL specified. If that URL isn't secured by any type of authentication I have a open and listening REST API that woudl allow anyone with the URL to add new information. Just because you are authenticated in Jira does not mean that you are authenticated for insert or update in the other listening application to which you are directing the webhook. My requirement is when an issue created in JIRA, it should trigger an event/REST message. Consumer (Third party application wants to get updates from JIRA) can configure the required API with payload in this REST message. I see JIRA capturing Outgoing authentication details in Application Links section. I am wondering in which place JIRA using these authentication details unless there is a REST message calling

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2015

How about trying to try create a code (groovy, shell, java) which will do your REST communication and just call that code on transitions (post-function)?

Srini T April 26, 2015

Thank you for reply Gabrielle. Yes, that is also fine. But I am new to JIRA. Is there any documentation/example on how to do that? Calling a script or Java client on post function?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2015

Take a look at this plugin, it's very useful and handy. Pretty straighforward. https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Script

Srini T April 27, 2015

Thank you very much Gabrielle, let me check this.

Suggest an answer