How to configure a new ticket type as Epic ticket in Jira

Li Huang June 12, 2016

Hi,

Does anyone know how to configure a new ticket type as Epic ticket in Jira?

2 answers

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2016

There is no way to change the behavior for Epics to a different issue type. It's completely locked to the Epic issue type.

0 votes
Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2016

Hi Huang,

Have you installed JIRA Software (JIRA Core + JIRA Agile) in your server?
If yes, you need go to project adminstration page, and add 'Epic' issue type to your workflow scheme.
Then 'Epic' will present in 'Issue type' dropdown when you create a JIRA ticket.

Cheney Ma

Li Huang June 12, 2016

Yes, they are installed. Actually we don't want to use original "Epic" type, but want to configure another ticket type as "Epic". Is there a way to do this?

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2016

可以的!

Below are steps to make it happen.

1. Go to JIRA Administration page.
2. Click 'Issues' tab.
3. Click 'Issue types' from left panel.
4. Click 'Add Issue Type' button.
5. Finish the issue type creation, specify the name as 'Epic'.
6. Add the new created issue type to your project workflow scheme.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2016

I think you've misunderstood the question.  Adding a new issue type of "x" is not the problem.

I think the question is "if I add an issue type of X, how do I make JIRA Software make it handle like an Epic?"  (i.e. appear on side panels, add up strories etc)

Is that right?

Li Huang June 12, 2016

Hi Nic,

That's right. Is there a way to achieve this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2016

I'm sorry, but no, you need to use Epics

Suggest an answer