How to configure Notification scheme based on Issue Type or Status in "On demand JIRA"

srinivasan radhakrishnan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

Hi All,

I have new goal for configuring JIRA notification for a project based on "Status" and "Issue Types". Could you pls give the setps to achieve my goal.

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2013

You can't do this at a scheme level. Notifications schemes belong to projects, not issue types.

What you can do though:

• For each issue type, create a new workflow
  • For each transition within each workflow, decide what notifications you need when the transition happens (remember that a transition moves an issue from one status to another)
  • Once you have the list of notifications needed, create a custom "event" for each one
  • Go back into your workflows and tell them to fire your custom events as appropriate
  • Finally, amend the notification scheme to send the emails for your custom events to the people they need to go to
Dmitry Pashkevich October 18, 2013

While the suggested workaround is viable, it's a lot of work to do and not really scalable (have to create tons of custom events for each issue type).

Please vote for this (and possibly related) feature request https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4742

Dmitry Pashkevich October 27, 2013

Don't forget to make sure that the "Create Issue" transition has a "Re-index" post-function, otherwise the created issues will not appear in search!

1 vote
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2015

We made a notification plugin where you can define which notifications should be sent out based on whether issue matches specific JQL criteria https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.vacom.jirassimo 

This article explains how to configure notifications per issue type

And this - how to notify when on issue status transition

Have a look,

Vlad

0 votes
JonasC December 14, 2015

Hi,

I created this plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/manage/plugins/net.koncis.atlassian.issue-type-notification-schemes

By defining notification schemes as usual, you can create (with the plugin) issue type notification schemes, and thereby map issue types to notification schemes.

I hope that helps you all.

Please let me know if you find any problems using it.

Andrew King July 7, 2016

Has anyone tried this yet? I installed an evaluation version and created an issue type notification scheme. Am trying to figure out how to swap out an existing project notification scheme and use this instead. I associated the project with the Issue Type Notification scheme, and got a warning about double emails. How do I de-associate the other one?

JonasC July 7, 2016

Hi there.

You need to remove the notification scheme you have on your project, and use the issue type notifications schemes instead.

The issue type notifications schemes then basically uses your original notifications schemes underneath in the mapping from issue type -> scheme.

Som doc here: http://koncis.net/issue-type-ns.html

Andrew King July 8, 2016

Okay, thanks I figured it out. You need to change the project's initial associated notification scheme to <none> to avoid the double emails, correct? Then associating the new Issue Type Notification Scheme to the project instead will work correctly.

Andrew King July 12, 2016

One more question - we have installed the add on, and applied it to one project. It does not look possible to associate a particular Issue Type Notification Scheme with multiple projects. can you confirm this please? That is essential for us.

Thanks

JonasC July 12, 2016

You should be able to select multiple projects in the drop down of the association to projects. Hold down ALT, or maybe is it SHIFT, while clicking the projects in the select box

Suggest an answer