How to configure JIRA custom field values by issue type (context)

Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2012

I need to configure my custom field context by issue type - how do I do this?

Issue Type = Documentation
Custom Field = "Where Found"
Values = Book1, Book2, Book3

Issue Type = Software
Custom Field = "Where Found"
Values = Application1, Application2, Application3

JIRA allows you to configure custom fields according to Project and Issue Type... but you can only have one context per project, so all the issue types in the project's context must have the same values.

I am absolutely stunned to find this limitation.
Has anyone worked around this or have any suggestions?

2 answers

0 votes
Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2012

At this point there appears to be no "Good Answer" to this question. Please comment and vote on JRA-6851 if you are interested in this.

Cheers,

Jon

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2012

IN every project you can define a field configuration scheme.

1. You create two different field configurations (the second as a copy of the first one)

2. In every field configuration you set different default values for the custom field "Where Found""

3. In your field configuration scheme you select your first field configuration as default and for the issue type "Software" you select the second field configuration that you have created...

Does that do the trick?

Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2012

Hi Christian,

I am afraid I do not understand. I know I can use a Field Configuration Scheme to configure Required/Not Required, Shown/Hidden, Screens, Renderers and even the field Description... but I do not understand how I would configure different values for the custom fields.

Customfield values are configured on the "Custom Fields" page, not the "Field Configurations" page.

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2012

Hi Jon,

Im's so sorry. Must have slipped my mind. When we were facing this issue (some time ago) we actually had to create another custom field with the same name. Pretty nasty actually.Would that work for you?

Sorry again.

Cheers Christian

Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2012

Yes - that is something I had thought about, but I am a bit concerned that the confusion/reporting would be horrendus...

Thanks.

Suggest an answer