How to compare description field to string multi-lines using velocity?

Olivier Crozier March 17, 2014

I would like to set a description template for only one JIRA project (create issue).

To make it flexible I would like the description to toggle between empty "" or the template such as:

Some

Stuff

On several lines

depending on which JIRA project is selected at create issue or do nothing if the description contains something else already.

I tried to update the following velocity file:

<jira-application-dir>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/issue/field/description-edit.vm

with this very simple code before rendering the field:

#set ($template = "Put

stuff

here:")
#if ($issue.project.key && $issue.project.key == "TTT")
  #if ($description == "")
    #set ($description = $template)
  #end
#elseif ($description == $template)
    #set ($description = "")
#end
## let the renderer display the edit component

But if the project is not TTT, even if the description matches the template, the string comparison does not return true. Please note it returns true if the template contains only "One line:".

I'm running with JIRA 6.1. Can anyone help me?

PS: I also tried a javascript but it fails to execute in every situation.
At least the velocity script fires in every situation but the comparison fails.

1 answer

0 votes
Olivier Crozier June 26, 2014

I think I found a solution. I need further testing to prove it functions well.

I discovered that Velocity can use other java libraries: Example from the engine (or user guide) Click on Javadoc > then on org.apache.velocity.util > then on StringUtils > collapseNewlines().

Note: These links points to the last API under development. Not sure which version Atlassian is using: please start clicking from the correct engine version 1.7, 1.6, or even 1.5.

As the string comparison functions between 2 single line variables we could create temporary variables and compare them instead.

#set ($stringtemplate = $template.collapseNewlines())
#set ($stringdescription = $description.collapseNewlines())

Suggest an answer