How to comment to JIRA from email notification

Schuyler Bishop July 15, 2015

Hi guys,

I would like to be able to reply to a JIRA email notification with a comment that goes directly to JIRA, to the issue in the email, without logging into JIRA, how can I do this?

I have read a lot of the documentation on configuring JIRA comment creation from email, but the recommendation there is to create an email address for each JIRA project. Surely there must be a simpler way?

We recently moved from cloud-based JIRA to JIRA that is hosted on our own servers. When we had Cloud JIRA we were able to respond to email notifications with comments that went directly to JIRA, without ever leaving email. How can we set this up with our in-house JIRA?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2015

Jira's standard email handlers are not horrendously flexible, and you do need an email address per project.

However, that's only for new incoming mails.  If you reply to a comment, JIRA doesn't care what email address it arrives in, as it looks for an issue key in the subject of the email.  Doesn't matter if the email is sent to the "wrong" project - the first thing it looks for is an existing issue key.

There's lots of stuff you can do by writing your own listeners and email sends and so-on if that's no good for you.  But have a look at JEMH first - it's incredibly good at routing emails and implementing all sorts of clever rules and actions based on email.

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2015

JEMH is indeed a very powerful and flexible tool. We use it a lot for support requests from business partners who don't use JIRA. It's not exactly easy to configure, but there's generally very good support from the developer if you're stuck.

Schuyler Bishop July 23, 2015

I will take a look, thank you both!

0 votes
Samuel Kling December 18, 2019

Note that the email address you have set up under Outgoing Mail Servers also has to be set up as a mail handler and connected to a project under Incoming Mail Servers for Jira to process email replies.

0 votes
Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2017

Hi, 

Can you please let me know if there is an easy way to configure the possibility to add a comment from email without developing?

Thanks!! 

Naama

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2017

As before, the email handlers built into JIRA do handle comments.  They're just a bit simple.

Suggest an answer