How to combine a Scrum Board with a complex workflow ?

Andreas Hartmann July 13, 2015

Hi, we are working in an agile environment but our workflow includes succeeding activities after finishing the implementation of issues. As these activities are not part of the development team, the corresponding status are not part of the Scrum Board. I use a Kanban Board to handle these issues after development.

If an issue is moved from the Scrum Board on to the next status before the end of the Sprint, JIRA treats the ticket as being removed from the Sprint. As a result Sprint Report and velocity tracking makes no sense any more. Keeping all Sprint tickets within the Sprint Board until the end of the sprint is an option but not desirable.

Is there a way to use a scrum Board for issue tracking within a sprint and to combine this to a workflow that keeps track of the issue after finishing the implementation ?

Regards

Andreas

3 answers

0 votes
Andreas Hartmann July 14, 2015

Hi Rich,

yes, would have been a good idea to read the documentation ;-). I decided to add all succeeding status to the last column of the Scrum Board. So even if somebody changes the status of the issue by moving it from one column to the next in the Kanban Board, it will still be kept in the last column of the Scrum Board. So when the Sprint is Done, the issues will be considered as Done in the "Scrum Sense" und the Sprint Property will be removed correctly.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Reards

Andreas

0 votes
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2015

Hi Andreas! So, if you look at a specific issue before you transition it to a Kanban board status you will see it associated with the sprint, but after you move it to the new status, it is no longer associated with the sprint (looking at the issue)?

-R

Hi Rich, it looks kind of inconsistent. The issue itself is still part of the sprint. It has got the appropriate Sprint label. When i search for issues that are part of the sprint, i find theses issues. But the Sprint Report says that these issues are removed from the sprint. And so does the burndown chart too. And when I try to close the sprint these tickets are regarded as incomplete although the Ticketstate is "Done" and Resolved I have got the impression that a proper Sprint handling requires tickets to be on the Scrum board as long as the sprint hasn't been closed.

Hi again, I have tried some more scenarios and i got the impression, that the Scrum Board considers tickets to be "Done" if they are in the last column of the board, when the sprints comes to an end.

Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2015

Yes - it turns out that is correct as documented here: [https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Columns] So, perhaps a scheme that involved another column/status where the move to the final (right-most) column was done on the kanban board?

0 votes
Rich Duncan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2015

Does the filter you're using on the Scrum board filter out the statuses for issues that should appear on your Kanban board?  If so, you should ensure that the filter will select all issues that should appear on the Scrum board.  Also you need to have those statuses mapped to a column on the board.

-Rich

http://atlassian.bds.com

Andreas Hartmann July 13, 2015

Thank you Rich, yes the statuses for the development are completely on the scrum Board while the succeeding statuses are part of the Kanban Board. All statuses are mapped to columns. To be precise, the last column on the scrum board shows the same status as the first column on the kanban board. So the "flow" of the issues is not interrupted. Unfortunately JIRA decides to remove the ticket from the sprint as soon as it leaves the Scrum Board. This happens for example when an urgent feature has to be delivered after it is done, but the sprint hasn`t finished at this time. The agile reports consider the ticket as not being part of the sprint. As a result Sprint reports and velocity reports do not reflect sprint reality.

Heidi Bellio June 13, 2018

well, sprints are a scrum tool. kanban does not have sprints. that might be the reason.

Suggest an answer