How to close Parent Issues while all subtasks are already closed

Jeffrey Mendiola September 20, 2017

I cannot drag parent issue to make the status close

I am new here in Jira. I just created an issue with subtasks under a sprint.

Our team managed to closed all subtasks but not the parent issue.

is this a workflow related issue?

thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2017

What is the current state of the parent ticket? It may need to be put "In progress" first.

Another way of trying to do this is, open the parent ticket. At the top there should be some buttons which relate to progressing it through the workflow, such as Start progress or Resolved which may help. If it is already in progress, there is usually a Workflow button which has the available options - what do you see there?

Thank you the quick response. i already tried to edit the said parent ticket but there is no option to edit the status.

my workflow looks like this:

New - In progress - Code Review - QA - Closed

and for your information this parent task came from my previous sprint carried over to my active sprint.

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2017

Hi Jeffrey

You didn't say what state the parent is in currently.

I asked that you open (not Edit) the parent, so the top looks vaguely like this

Picture0006.jpg

In my example, the ticket is In Review and there are buttons for Resolved and Failed Review. You won't have those options, but you may have some to help you progress it. Possibly attach a similar screenshot of your parent ticket so we can see where it is

I attached a screenshot below. i cannot locate the open from this view.Parent issue.JPG

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2017

Okay, with the parent ticket showing in the right hand pane, click on the key (MI-26 in your screenshot). You'll notice it's shown in blue because it's a hyperlink - this will then open the ticket to the stage that I would like to have a screenshot of

Wow it works! thanks a lot bro!

is there any way to automate this? I mean, once all subtasks are closed its automatically close the parent task?

Parent issue - closed.JPG

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2017

I'm sure I've seen that functionality before - as you close the last subtask, Jira asks if you want to close the parent as well. But I'm a Scrum Master now and haven't used Jira as a developer for a while, so not sure if it still exists or how to get it working

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2017

Check if you have a transition from current status of an issue to the closed status. You might need to transition issue to another status before closed. 

Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2017

You also need to check if there are any specific condition on the workflow transition. You can do this by going into workflow edit mode.

Is it safe to edit the current workflow while we have ongoing sprint?

if not, is it safe to change the workflow scheme in the middle of the sprint?

thanks in advance!

Suggest an answer