How to clone issues to a new project?

Nancy Pham August 19, 2013

Is there a method or plugin that will enable me to clone issues from 1 project to another Project?

I am looking to still keep the Original Issue in it's Project and then have a "Clone" issue inanother project. So 2 identical issues in 2 seperate projects.

9 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013
8 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

Hi Nancy

You can clone the issue and use the option More>Move when editing the issue to transfer it to another project.

Hope it helps

Ricardo Carracedo.

Justin Gronholz August 19, 2014

This seems like the easiest way to do this without installing a plugin. Sure it's an extra step but it works.

Johann Pinga January 27, 2016

What happens to the workflow, custom issue types and custom fields?
Does that data still exist even if the project hasnt been configured to have those specific fields?

Like # people like this
Diane Jentilet November 25, 2016

any way to do this in bulk without the plugin?

Like # people like this
3 votes
gautamb February 11, 2020

Here is one approach but round about

1. Clone the Issues from Project 1

2. Move the Cloned Issues from Project 1 to Project 2

3. Original Issues will remain in Project 1

Azfar Masut
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2020

This seems to be a good workaround! Additionally, you can add label to those cloned issue so its easier for you to move it later on

Shyam Kushwaha June 16, 2021

This is not a proper solution. If I have a item XYZ-100, I will clone it then a new XYZ-101(no can be vary) will be created. Then we will move this to the new project NEW-101 It means any how we have to follow two steps. All the mentioned users in the description will get a notification for the XYZ-101 and for NEW-101 if we don't edit the description of XYZ-101 and then move it.

We should have a straight option to change the project when cloning. If another project is having some more/less fields than the current one, we can show them in the next step.

2 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2013
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2018

I installed this (on 7.12) and it seems to work as advertised. It does exactly what the name suggests: it lets you clone an issue, then immediately opens the Jira Move wizard. While handy, it really only eliminates a single button click on an otherwise cumbersome process. 

Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) December 19, 2018

Thanks for the info. That would have been disappointing to find out.

2 votes
Ryan Dunn August 19, 2013

There is bulk move,

You need to make sure the destination project is as close to the original project as prossible (workflows, etc..)

Then you can bulk move as outlined here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Modifying+Multiple+('Bulk')+Issues#ModifyingMultiple%28%27Bulk%27%29Issues-bulkmoveBulkMove

Hope this helps.

Nancy Pham August 19, 2013

I'm looking to keep the issues in the original project. Not looking to "Move" issues but to "Clone" issues in another project. So essentially, 2 projects with identical issues. I want this ability only at certain times to minimize double data entry.

Like Arun Kumar likes this
Ryan Dunn August 19, 2013

Ah, sorry about that... you should look into bob's comment:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/202956/how-to-clone-issues-to-a-new-project

Tom Wilhelm September 28, 2017

In other words, if you're on Cloud, as usual, you're out of luck...

1 vote
Michael Wright February 12, 2019

Why not let the Project be an editable field?  This would seem to be simple coding.  yes, we are on the cloud.

1 vote
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2018

After trying all the methods/plugins suggested on this page, I have settled with a nearly equivalent (and much easier) method: Create Linked Issue. This copies most of the fields I care about (including, optionally, attachments and comments) and lets you choose the target Project all in one screen. 

Biggest disadvantages: does not copy Fix Version or Sprint and does not let you assign the ticket until after it is created. 

Other huge disadvantage (that I just became aware of): this feature is only available for "Business"-type projects (Service Desk, etc), not "Software"-type projects.

0 votes
erqem.habib May 17, 2020

You can also export the issues you want to clone and import the CSV into the project you want the issues to be in.

gautamb May 17, 2020

While this is certainly an option, note that attachments and images do not get exported so you will lose that on import

erqem.habib May 17, 2020

The attachments are on the Jira cloud. While exporting the CSV, if you export the attachment column with the sheet, and you import the CSV with the attachments column in the project. You can see the attachments as well.

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 18, 2019

If you want to Bulk Clone on Jira Cloud you can try our app Deep Clone for Jira to copy and move hundreds of issues in one action.

You just have to filter for the issues you want to clone and then use the Deep Clone: Bulk Clone function.

Suggest an answer