How to clear field's default value

Sanu Soman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2013

Hi All,

Please let me know how can I clear the default value of a custom field and set back to none?

Thanks,

Sanu P Soman

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2013

login as Administrator, type gg + 'custom fields'

Go to the custom field you would like to change. Click on the cog to the right, select Configure and there you have a link to edit the default value. That's it

1 vote
Sanu Soman
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

Finally I made it.

Field was mandatory in field configuration, so I just made that field optional on field configuration and came back to field default values and then I can see three values (including "none"), so I just made default value as "none" and then made field mandatory in field configuration.. that works :)

But I think we can clear the field default value from field configuration irrespective of optional or requirement in field configuration.. I think I did it before like this. No idea why it's not happening this time?

Any suggestions?

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

I think I did it before like this

Maybe the field was in two field configurations and only in one mandatory?

But glad it worked anyway.

1 vote
Sanu Soman
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

Sorry guys I can't able to de-select the value. Only thing I can change the default value to any other. Ctl + select is not working for me

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

Is the field required in your Field configuration?

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

What kind of custom field are you talking about? Can you post a screenshot from the configuration page?

1 vote
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2013

Go to your field configuration and delete the default value / change it back to none...

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field#ConfiguringaCustomField-default_valueDefaultvalue

Cheers Christian

0 votes
Dave Hollinden May 8, 2018

I ran into this same problem. In one case, even after making the field Optional in the field configuration I was unable to clear the default value. 

This work-around fixed the problem. 

• Add a new option named "test"
  • Set the default value to "test"
  • Delete the option "test"
  • The default value is cleared. 
0 votes
Rose Sahagun June 2, 2016

@Christian Czaia - thank you for the response! I did have to delete the value and then re-ad to get rid of the default value. It would be great if instead you could select none rather than going through the additional steps. 

0 votes
Ross McKenrick July 9, 2015

how do I clear a (custom) field's default value if it is a mandatory field? we set a default value for a mandatory custom field, and now our users want it cleared forcing them to make a selection.

Ross McKenrick July 9, 2015

I figured it out. Make the field Optional, change the default to None, then make the field Required.

Daniel Faltyn October 2, 2019

Or you can hold CTRL, click on the option that you want to deselect, then save. 

Like # people like this
Miriam Hopton September 18, 2020

OMG Daniel, THANK YOU!!!!!! This saved me a bunch!! 

Suggest an answer