How to clean a MSSQL database to be able to install JIRA again?

Francois M. FASBENDER July 5, 2012

Hello,

I've completely upgraded my JIRA from 4.2 to 5.0.1 on a test server. For this upgrade, I've created a new database (MSSQL). Everything worked fine.

Before upgrading on the production system, I would like to check again the JIRA upgrade, so I uninstalled JIRA 5.0.1 and started performing a new installation.

After installing again JIRA 5.0.1, in the setup screen, I’m receiving this message: "The database specified is not empty Please specify an empty database for your JIRA installation".

Could you please give me the procedure to clean this database to be able to continue the JIRA setup on this database?

Thank you!

François

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

You need to drop the tables, that can be accomplished through something like the mysql workbench or even script based (see http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-do-i-empty-mysql-database/ )

The 2nd link you mention is very helpfull. Thank you Andy.

François.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2012

Drop all the tables in the database - that will clear them out and Jira will happily create them all afresh.

Nagging doubt though - you say you're upgrading? Did you start with an empty database and import from XML?

Nic,

For info, I've created a new db for upgrading JIRA to 5.0.1. then I completed the procedure to copy data from old db to the new one: everything went fine.

Thank you for your help; I'll keep you informed on this subject.

François.

Suggest an answer