How to check comment permissions for a user in email template?

Marketa Dvorackova April 14, 2015

Hi everyone,

I've made a post-function on a workflow transition to send an email notification. I need to include the last comment but only if the reporter (to whom I am sending this notification) has permission to see it.

I have found this class 

com.atlassian.jira.issue.comments.DefaultCommentPermissionManager

which has a function to do exactly that I believe

hasBrowsePermission(User user, Comment comment)

but trying to get in in the groovy template gives errors. The constructor requires a load of other elements (and going further recursively) and I haven't found a way to get this object in the template.

This said, I have two questions:

• is there a way to check the user's permissions to see a comment in the groovy email template and if so, how can I do that?
  • if the above mentioned class is the solution, how can I possibly get the object in the template?

Thanks a lot, it's a real blocker.

Update: which comment does actually get the reporter? I look at a preview with lastComment for one issue and it automatically skips the last comment if it is internal and gives me last public. On a different issue it gives me last even if internal. If by chance the preview content depends on who's previewing, what does then go to the user?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marketa Dvorackova April 15, 2015

Resolved. It is enough to get a list of all the comments on a particular issue that the user is allowed to see

componentManager.getCommentManager().getCommentsForUser(issue, issue.getReporter())

If you have a comment, get its ID and check if it's among the IDs of the comments in the list above.

Marketa Dvorackova April 19, 2015

Update: This will never work with Service Desk, which uses a completely different system of comment visibility management. Currently, Service Desk support proclaims it impossible to get the information by a script in any way.

Suggest an answer