How to change your default JIRA home page?

Kosh Sarkar _Admin_ January 22, 2018

I tried searching this already in the forum but couldn't find anything. On JIRA Cloud, the older UI version had options to change the home page by going to your profile. I could not find this in the latest UI - does this option exist? If so, how do you do it? If not, does anyone know if Atlassian is looking to put this in?

Thanks,

8 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Anand September 1, 2021

sorry late to the party.

I found this and working for me. 

Go to Personal Settings 

1. Click on the profile picture on the right,  a drop-down with options can be seen second option under Jira is personal settings ( in the latest cloud version sep 1, 2021) 

2. Click on Personal Settings and scroll down to see "Your Jira homepage"

works like charm for me 

5 votes
Maksym Domariev May 5, 2020

I'm so lost with this, I'm using new experience and those settings don't work for me. please assist, the default page is project selection which is not very informative, I'd like to have a dashboard.

4 votes
Sachin.Ingalagi March 27, 2019

looks i was having similer issue, whenever i login and select my project..JIRA would take me to some random issue list with query parameters for some defect.. where as i wanted to set summary page as my default page whenever i select that project from resent projects list or from some other location and i think i found a solution...and it worked for me..

lets say you want to set the summary page of project 1 as your default page for that project so that whenever you login or switch between projects in the same session

1. first go to the page of the project which you want to set as your default home page

https://xyz.atlassian.net/projects/<projectkey>/summary

2. copy the URL

3. log out and clear cache

4. start new browser session and hit copied URL https://xyz.atlassian.net/projects/<projectkey>/summary

5. once you login, summary page becomes default page. now it will become your default irrespective any number or cache clear or login logout..

hope this helps

Scott McDonald August 29, 2019

The ticket JRACLOUD-69635 seems to only address Cloud.  Is there one open for Server?

3 votes
Jake Rich June 18, 2020

We just migrated to the Atlassian Cloud last night. My users' number one complaint is that their dashboards are no longer the default landing page. Very frustrating.

EDIT: fixed my spelling error.

Shawn July 2, 2020

You can change the default landing between Dashboard, Boards, Structure, etc if that is what you are looking for.  Hover over your profile icon in the upper right corner. You'll see a dot next to one of the options. Select the blank space next to one of the other options to change it. 

Like Andre likes this
Martin Öhlinger September 16, 2020

@Shawncould you elaborate?

Alison Petersen November 4, 2020

@shawn

I do not see the dot next to any of the options under my profile. I'm a site administrator and I'm looking to have my team all land on the System Dashboard instead of Your Work. 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Sc0p3Cr33p June 24, 2020

Hey so its two years later and I am not able to find a way to configure my default dashboard.  Was this "functionality ever added back in?

1 vote
Siddhartha Subedi November 27, 2020

First, go to your default home page. It probably shows my work section, At the top right, it showed three dots where I clicked- Set dashboard as my default home page. It prompts you to give a reason to do so. After that dashboard shows up on the default home page.

Emelie December 7, 2020

Nope, it shows "Activity", that is to say, everyone's activities. I cannot see any dots anywhere. I am project owner. 

Austin Graham December 18, 2020

I see it. After you switch your homepage to the dashboard it will allow you to switch it back to "Your Work" if you wantSwitchHomepage.png

Like Deleted user likes this
1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2018

Hi Kosh,

Take a look at Set your site homepage:

1. Go to Site administration (or

> User management if you're not using the new Jira experience yet)
  2. Choose Application access in the left panel
  3. Hit the User defaults button at the top-right of the page
  4. Pick the default application under the Homepage heading
  5. Hit Set defaults

Cheers,

Branden

Milind Thakur February 26, 2018

Thanks Kosh, but this change will be applied to the site for all the users. I wish to set a separate homepage only for my login. I tried to follow the documentation, but I guess it has not been updated with new UI as I cannot find "My JIRA Home" option on the profile page.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/changing-your-jira-home-page-720416089.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/choose-your-home-page-139452.html

Thanks

Like # people like this
munyiva ngea May 2, 2018

Did you find a solution?

Jeff Turner August 29, 2018

Bump!

The new UI feels like it took one step forward and two steps back

Like # people like this
Aron Lilland August 31, 2018

bump again!

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2018

Hey everybody,

Just noting that with the new UI, there is currently no preference for where Jira sends you after a login. It will redirect you to your last-used Dashboard and is not configurable.

There is an open feature request to be able to choose where you're sent (per user) after a logging in to Jira specifically. Have a look and watch/vote on the feature request if it matches what you're hoping for.

Do note that steps posted earlier by Branden are still valid for selecting which application users go to (Jira, Confluence, etc.) after login, but changing this for your site will affect all users. This is separate from where Jira will send you for a landing page.

Cheers,
Daniel

Like # people like this
Chris Shillum January 29, 2019

This is yet another sucky thing about the new Jira. Fed up with seeing the default dashboard.

Like # people like this
Alan Williams June 27, 2019

There shouldn't be a feature request for functionality that has been removed with a release.  This should be a bug that needs to be fixed.

Like # people like this
Julie Spradley July 23, 2019

I have to say that this is a problem for me as well.  We are required to log out every night, so Sachin's solution, while a clever workaround, would have to be done every day.

This is particularly a problem, as some of our dashboards load extremely slowly.  I would rather be able to set my default to something that loads quickly so I can get on with other tasks.

I hope Atlassian is not going to take "minimalism" so far that a useful program becomes worthless.  I'm mostly a fan of Atlassian products, but sometimes they seem to go for form over function, and business is all about function.

Like # people like this
Emelie December 7, 2020

Where is “Site administration” located? I can see “JIRA ADMINISTRATION”. I cannot see “Application access” in left panel.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Marton Lipcsik August 16, 2023

Hi All

Today (2023-08-16) works fine for me in cloud version, after the following steps:

1. Profile picture/Personal settings/Your Jira homepage
  2. Select the desired value from the list, then click on the Save changes button.
  3. !!!Logout from Jira and log in again!!! If you use domain login setup, you're automatically logged in Jira after you logged in with your company domain user+pass into your Windows for example, then you should also log out from your computer, and log in again, then check your Jira again.
  4. This worked for me today, I tested with 2 different home page settings.

Hope this helps. Bye.

Suggest an answer