How to change which status feeds the backlog?

Chris Battles April 23, 2019

I changed my work-flow to something that seemed more intuitive to me.  I changed the workflow such that when a task is created, I give it a "Backlog" status.  (Seemed intuitive to me.)  And then when I add an issue to a sprint, the status is updated to "ToDo".  However, now all of my new tasks do not show up in the backlog on my scrum planning board.  If I change their status to "ToDo", then they show up. 

The real question here is if I can change the scrum board to put all "Backlog" status tasks in to the Backlog pane.  In searching other threads, others suggest that you need to put the unassigned statuses onto a column.  However, in the board configuration screen, it only shows the columns and nothing for the backlog area.

Are we forced into a paradigm where something in the backlog must have a "ToDo" status?

Thanks for any help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2019

Hi Chris,

Issues should show in the sprint section or the backlog section if the associated status is linked to any of the columns in the board configuration. The issues will show for a sprint if the sprint field is populated with the corresponding sprint.

E.g., in this case the issues with status 'backlog' won't show in neither the sprint or the backlog sections because the 'backlog' status is in the unmapped statuses list (to the right)

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 10.56.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 11.02.16 PM.png

But if I add the 'backlog' status to the column 'To Do' e.g., the issues that had the 'backlog' status will be displayed:

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 10.59.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 10.59.12 PM.png

Chris Battles April 24, 2019

Thanks for your answer.  This did work, but I'm not sure that I understand why.  I know that my "Backlog" status was in the unassigned column.  The part that I found confusing is that I didn't want my backlog items to show up in any of the sprint columns, because they haven't actually been added to a sprint yet.  When designing a sprint board, it allows the design of the columns for in the sprint, but nothing to specify which status attributes go to the backlog. 

But thanks again for the answer!

Like # people like this
Kalia_Martin October 5, 2019

Did it show up in the backlog Chris?

I want to use your solution but I'm not sure this worked? I want to have two status for a sprint backlog which makes sense for us for the business and easier to track. Not sure how to do this

Suggest an answer