How to change the "person" that triggered events show up under?

Alex Ober August 8, 2017

I have several events in JIRA that are set up to be triggered by various actions, mainly SLA triggers but also commenting on a ticket. This is both when "waiting for customer" changes to "waiting for support" when the customer responds to you and also when my SLA trigger changes the state of a ticket from "Resolved" to "Closed" after our pre-determined timeframe.

In both of these types of automatic/ triggered events, they are shown in both JIRA and in the email updates that the status of my ticket has been changed by my co-admin who initially set up our projects. This gives me a heart attack on a regular basis because we have very separate duties and normally he would not be looking at my tickets at all. I want to change the "person" that shows up when these events are triggered to some sort of default or generic - I am even happy creating a dummy user account for this called "System" or "Admin" or something and assigning that to this function instead of my co-admin, but I CANNOT find where this is controlled. Can someone please help me track this down?

5 answers

5 votes
Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2018

You'll need to actually type in the name of the new default automation user.  It's not a dropdown list of users...

Default Automation User.png

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/default-event-user-selection/qaq-p/715398#U951340

Ivailo Ivanov July 8, 2021

I seriously spent 15 minutes without figuring this out on my own! This sounds like bad UI/UX, Atlassian!

Thank you, @Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_

2 votes
Oleg Kirilov July 1, 2020

I'll just leave it here. Now this option is here:

Capture.PNG

Anson Chew July 17, 2020

Thank you! 

Tim Kormylo December 28, 2020

Thank you!  Searching for this for over an hour now.

2 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2017

The Default User is listed on the right-side of the screen under the Automation tab for Service Desk Project Settings. You may change this to be the Project Lead or the 'user who initiated the event'.

This default user is lifted from the Project Lead, which is configured under Users & Roles in any project's Project Settings.

Alex Ober August 8, 2017

THANK YOU!!!!

Whew. I was about to start throwing my computer at the wall.

Okay, I see where it says "By default rules run as XXXXXX. Change default event user" at the top of the automation page. However, it definitely is not letting me change it to 'user who initiated event' though I'm not sure how that would work anyway? If they are automated events, no user is triggering them.

Project Lead settings make sense, as my co-admin was the project lead initially. I just figured it was some default setting from when he set everything up and he just couldn't remember how to change it. However, I still want some sort of generic ID to show up here, not me, and it weirdly seems to be only allowing me to set this as myself, my co-admin, or our boss (who is not a Project Lead anywhere?). I thought at first this was based on groups, but there are no groups where only the three of us are members. Do you know what determines who can be set here?

Alex Ober August 8, 2017

I'm an idiot. It's the project permission settings.

*headdesk*

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2017

To be honest, the UI for Service Desk has changed dramatically over the last 3 versions. It has been confusing but I think the layout is settling down.

Greg Mora December 14, 2017

Was there a way to change this to 'user who initiated the event'? If so, how did you do it? 

Greg Mora December 14, 2017

Oh boy, just figured it out. Still trying to familiarize myself with the new layout. 

Bethany Glismann June 27, 2019

@Greg Mora do you remember how you were able to make the automation run as the user who initiated the event? I have a number of different automations I'd like to run as different users; not have each one run as project default.

Alex Kozyr September 16, 2020

@Greg Mora yes, please share how did you do  'user who initiated the event'

1 vote
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 18, 2018
0 votes
Muhammed Sharifi October 22, 2018

from the project, administration chose automation and from right bottom corner Hit Run as button and chose the username who you want to be set as to trigger the action. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 12.51.05 PM.jpg

Suggest an answer