How to change the author of a comment in jira from the web interface?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2012

Is it possible to change the author of an issue comment in jira?

I know it can be changed inside the database, but I'm looking for a GUI solution.

4 answers

3 votes
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2012

Sorry, that is not possible via the GUI.

zunairf October 24, 2018

Is this possible by Groovy script? on server v7.5

Our issue is that, we have 3 domain aliases and we are tying to make sure there are no duplicate accounts.

Users who creates/comments tickets via email from 2 diff aliases causes this issue.

Jira user accounts uses one alias which is synced from AD. - used for portal.

We managed to change the ticket reporter to Jira user account using groovy script.
If email is from user1@d1.com or user1@d2.com then it looks if user1 account exists in Jira and change the reporter to user1.

Looking to do the same in comments... any ideas?

Like David Harkins likes this
1 vote

You can view JIRA Comment Toolbox to  change commenter of the comments and go on like this way.

Moreover, you can use JIRA Comment Toolbox for these;

• Custom Last-First Comment Fields,
  • Custom JQL function
  • Delete issue comment
  • Delete user all comment
  • Update author of the comments.
  • Replace string in comment
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2012

No.

There's always a few edge cases, but as a general rule, a tracker should log who commented and not allow it to be changed (Jira has a weakness in that it considers the reporter to be the person who logs an issue, and then lets people change that. Reporter != Creator)

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2012

BTW, the question is about COMMENTS in JIRA, not pages in confluence.

Christian Sprenger November 18, 2015

Agreed somewhat, but the Admin, who's able to even *delete* Tickets should be able to change that IMHO

Like David Harkins likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2015

Why? It's destroying accurate data. I'd not have an issue with the idea if comment changes were tracked fully (they're not yet), but I still don't see any use for it (other than "I got an import wrong")

Well, kinda. We have "Anonymous" user to create Tickets. Occasionally, someone will get his own account. Now it would be great to associate this comment to the user. Or someone is abroad or forgot to sign in, so he is creating an "Anonymous Comment" which I'd like to change to the users comment (which is not destroying accurate data because this has not been accurate at that time :) )

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2015

Ah, mm, my argument there would be that you shouldn't be allowing that at all. I have spent most of my career in heavily controlled area where it's frankly illegal to not know who is making changes to your systems. So anonymous access in most cases is read-only.

Yea, understood. But our JIRA is running inside our own Intranet, so kinda secure anyway. And because I cannot get a license for all our 55000 Employees we set certain Projects to "Anonymous" to have some possibilities. So we do have to allow that. I mean, why else would there be the option for that at all when it should not be done? Because sometimes it is necessary :)

zunairf October 22, 2018

Is this possible by Groovy script? on server v7.5

Our issue is that, we have 3 domain aliases and we are tying to make sure there are no duplicate accounts.

Users who creates/comments tickets via email from 2 diff aliases causes this issue.

Jira user accounts uses one alias which is synced from AD. - used for portal.

We managed to change the ticket reporter to Jira user account using groovy script.
If email is from user1@d1.com or user1@d2.com then it looks if user1 account exists in Jira and change the reporter to user1.

Looking to do the same in comments... any ideas?

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2012

There seems to be an open issue related to this topic. Add your vote to it if it is what you are looking for.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-7247

Suggest an answer