How to change status of issues?

William Pieters-Verbiest December 1, 2014

I have added 2 people to the 'developer-E2S' group (self-created group), but now it seems that the user created by someone else before my time (oldest user) can change statuses in issue tickets, and the newly created user can't change statuses of tickets...

My colleague can also change statuses (JIRA admin), while I can't change statuses (also JIRA admin). We have searched for many hours already on how to set it to be able to change statuses, but my colleague can't even recall how he did it for himself (as it's way too complicated to find anything in the cluttered mess JIRA calls "configure system")

solution:

Hello everyone,

We managed to find out where the issue was. Apparently it was as simple as the fact that my colleague forgot to click on "start progress". Once he did that the users were able to change issue statuses.

Thanks for all the support you guys provided!

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Thanks so far everyone for the support, I have logged a ticket @ support.atlassian.com. Unfortunately none of the answers here were able to help me as it's not a group, permission or workflow issue (checked all of them and they're all set correctly).

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2014

Good luck with your ticket. Please post the outcome later.

1 vote
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2014

Hi Willian, 

If it helps, we can take a further look into your configurations. Just raise a ticket on Atlassian SAC (support.atlassian.com) under Atlassian OnDemand.

Though, solutions that other users mentioned might be valid.

Please be aware that admins (via Global Permissions) will have permission to perform most JIRA administration functions. To be able to manage projects and control what happens on it, you will need to set up the proper Project Permissions. One thing that might help you out is the use of the 'Permission Helper' feature. Have you tried it already? smile

Kind Regards, 
Elisa 

Hi Elisa, Included in link is a screenshot of the permission helper. It says the exact same for both users. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekp7ns95fs515og/2014-12-02%2007_58_43-Permission%20Helper%20-%20daikin.onjira.com%20JIRA.png?dl=0 It says that he has the rights to transition statuses (same for me), but neither of us can change the status...

1 vote
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2014

Notice that there's a difference between Global and Project permissions. To which permissions this group is associated with? A possible solution maybe that your user doesn't have the relevant permission for tickets in a specific project.

Screenshots might help.

Hi Peter, The fact that there's only 2 people in that specific group, of which 1 can change the status but the other one can't would suggest that it can't be a group issue. As for screenshots I wouldn't even know where to begin, JIRA has like 20 different locations with permissions to be set, each with 20 options of their own making it very confusing for someone that doesn't breathe JIRA to find his way back in that maze of settings.

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2014

Hi,

Have you checked workflow conditions? May be any defined condition is preventing workflow transition.

Tuncay

0 votes

Hi John,

I rechecked numerous times, both on myself & my other admin colleague (we're both in all the same groups), as with the 2 other people (both in same developer groups), the 'old' people can change statuses (back from in the days someone else set up JIRA OnDemand), the newbies (myself & the 2nd developer) can't change statuses.

I'd have thought that admins would have full rights by just joining the group, but fact that I can't change statuses proved me totally wrong...

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2014

Look at the corresponding permission scheme, see if the transition issue permission is set. If that is ok, look at the workflow and check if there is a condition that prevents you transitioning the issue.

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2014

did you made sure they are in the right group? compared the groups of the users in the developer-E2S and the older groups. Also make sure the person is added to the project.

Suggest an answer