How to change order of statuses in a Two Dimension filter?

Ulrika Eriksson December 5, 2013

In a two dimensional filter choose:
X = Status
Y = Project

The statuses are showed in the following order:
Open - Resolved – Closed - Acceptance Test – System Test – Build&Configure – Building&Configuring – Describe Requirement – System IntegrationTest – Release – Waiting/On hold – Review – Designing Architecture

Why this order?
Is it possible to rearrange the order of the different statuses?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2013

In a two dimensional filter gadget the statuses are ordered by there ID. Since you can't change the IDs of an status, the only solution would be to create new statuses in the correct order and use the new ones in your workflow (but I'm not sure if this is worth it)

Andrew Bilukha July 27, 2018

That's not entirely accurate.  You can go to the table in DB and manually renumerate statuses.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2018

NO!

If you do that, you can render your Jira unusable. Do NOT try it.

(Technically, you're right, you can manually re-numerate them in the status table.  But if you're going to say that, you really need to point out the other 9 tables you need to match up, not forgetting that my memory is not great and 9 is probably a vast underestimate)

Andrew Bilukha July 30, 2018

Nic, just read this Atlassian article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-re-order-statuses-675385085.html

I've done this plenty of times in the past. It works.

17 votes
Christian Rodriguez September 19, 2017

What @Steve Butler1 said worked for us.

Go to Admin > Issues > Statuses and use the arrows to establish the order you want to reorder the 2D columns.

Julio Cesar Brito Gomes September 26, 2017

Thanks!

Jacob Bartlett November 6, 2017

Would it be possible to specify where you get to Admin > Issues > Statuses? 

The closest to an Admin section I can find is going JIRA Administration (the gear icon at the top-right) > Projects > Project list > [my project] > Administration > Issue types > issue 

From here I can't change anything, even though I am an admin. This is JIRA v6.4.14 if that's relevant.

Like Maridali Gonzalez likes this
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2017

Hi @Jacob Bartlett, I think it's still in the same place - select "Issues" from that 'cog' drop-down instead of "Projects" and look for "Statuses" under the 'Issue Attributes' header.

Note that this is an instance-wide setting, so going to the administration section of a particular project isn't going to help.

Like Sonja Athing likes this
Jacob Bartlett November 7, 2017

Thank you for responding so quickly. 

It looks like I only have a "Projects" item in the drop-down, with no "Issues" drop-down. 

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2017

Hi @Jacob Bartlett, this is the cog in the top-right between the "?" help drop-down and your profile? What other options do you see there?

The URL for this section (at least on Server 7.1.7) is "xxxx.com/secure/admin/ViewStatuses.jspa"

Johnny Maw February 4, 2020

@Christian RodriguezFTW. Thanks for pointing us to the simple solve!

Arno Fuchsberger October 22, 2020

Thanks for the hint!

4 votes
Joshua Balsillie August 14, 2018

@all

Found one solution that works for Jira Cloud across all projects:
Re-ordering the status column

Go to: Admin > Issues > Statuses > [reorder the statuses]

Brian Mertens January 22, 2019

Thanks, Joshua!  I've had difficulty finding documentation on "natural" sorting but your post seems to have answered it.

Mauricio GALVEZ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2020

Nice trick!, thanks a lot Joshua

4 votes
Anthony Buck January 29, 2016

How stupid. This is exactly the kind of stuff that makes me so frustrated with Jira. If you can't customize the column order, they should default by type. IE. If you are using status as your column, the default order should be based on your workflow order. This question is TWO YEARS old and common sense still hasn't fixed this. Such a great dashboard gadget is pretty much useless.

3 votes
David May April 17, 2017

We have a company of 3000 people and many, many different workflows. To not have statuses in reports ordered by the workflow status in some way is inane.

Is there another dashboard widget that allows a different ordering method for statuses?

Steve Black June 26, 2017

Ageed - ridiculous.  Haven't found another solution yet...

Bouakeo Vimalavong July 3, 2017

Hi. Looking for the same feature. 

Is there already a feature request for Jira?

2 votes
activetr June 1, 2016

If anyone else if looking for how to do this using Groovy / Script Runner here is my working code (just run it in the Script Console):

import com.atlassian.jira.config.StatusManager
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

StatusManager statusManager = ComponentAccessor.getComponentOfType(StatusManager.class)

def id = '6' // ID of the status item
def moves = 110 //number of moves
def up = true //change the direction of the moves

def i = 0
while (i < moves){
    if (up) {
        statusManager.moveStatusUp(id)
    }
    else {
        statusManager.moveStatusDown(id)   
    }
i++
}
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2017

Thanks for this @activetr; spent hours looking for a better solution, but apparently reordering the statuses is the only way to tackle this.

One word of warning - start with the number of moves low and work your way up. I started off with 120 moves at once but apparently our instance felt that was just too much to cope with at once and crapped the bed.

Tim Theis June 6, 2019

Thank you - this works great!

0 votes
Susmita Jha January 6, 2021

Currently it is available in Jira Server also.

I just did now for one of my requirements

Admin Settings-> Issues->Statuses -> Move the status up / down as per requirement.

The order in the Dashboard Gadget also gets changed.

Suggest an answer