How to change global system kanban board sub-filter?

smark October 22, 2015

All Kanban boards have now the sub-filter: "fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY"

I don't knew where it comes from.

I am able to delete that filter for every single project but not for on one time.

Did you have an idear where that problem comes from and where i could delete that filter?

5 answers

1 vote
David Hergert _PAYX_ February 9, 2016

I agree, I think for teams that are pretty contained within their own project(s) and board(s), the current one makes sense.  

Or even better, it'd be nice when you create a Kanban board you get the option to pick from a pre-defined (administrator managed) list of Sub-Filters based on the type of Kanban team you are (i.e. do you want to manually clear Stories with Releases, do you want closed Stories to automatically drop off after 7 days, or write your own sub-filter query).

1 vote
David Hergert _PAYX_ February 9, 2016

I would also like to see this.  The issue we're seeing is, people create a few boards for a project and when one of them creates a Release to clear things from their boards, it disappears from everyone's board.  So the default sub-filter is sub-optimal.  We'd like to change it to something like 

resolution is EMPTY OR (resolution is not EMPTY AND resolved > -7d)

so as to have things drop off our Kanban board automatically after 7 days.

I just created https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-13180 for tracking this.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2016

Yup - I think I'd be tempted to do it as a board config item though - "regularly sweep done column according to this (configurable) rule"

That's based on a  sneaky trick that I've seen in business related projects that don't care about versions much - use an automation/service to run regularly and stick a fix version on issues that have been in the done column for a while.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2016

As long as it's optional - people do need the Kanban boards to work as designed.

Matthias Bergmann September 4, 2020

not everyone uses version ins Jira. We for example are not software developers, but lawyers.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2020

That's why I suggested "optional". 

Like Matthias Bergmann likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2015

It's hard coded.  The point of a Kanban board is that you move stuff to "done" and then "release when you're ready", which moves that stuff off the board.  JIRA handles that by simply saying "when you release, you put a version on it".  So the default Kanban filter is absolutely right for the standard desired behaviour of the board.

So, there's an easy question - what are you doing differently?  What board filter do you actually want?

Kent Mingus October 23, 2015

Nic, I have a similar issue. Let me shed some light on what is happening with me and I think with smark. In my case I am trying to use Kanban for marketing. Versioning and releasing a version does not make sense in this scenario. Many of our projects do not even use the fixversion field. The problem when you use the default value for the kanban filter: ixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY, both of these evaluate to false because the field does not exist. This results in my Kanban board missing issues that were created under another project and assigned to me. There doesn't appear to be a way to alter the filter. Seems like if you just deleted the entire sub-filter it would fix the problem but it just results in no issues selected.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2015

Yes, you need a way to bin things that are done off the board. Your usage doesn't have that. I'd suggest simply adding the version field to the project without bothering to put it on screens.

Richard Cross September 27, 2018

Sorry to necro this thread, but given Atlassian's own advice on keeping Kanban boards performant, I'm surprised the default sub-filter isn't:

fixVersion in unreleasedVersions("PROJ") OR fixVersion is EMPTY

So I've added a comment to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-13180 with that suggestion.  This is not to rule out David Heggert's suggestion below, but if that takes longer to implement, the above would at least keep large JIRA systems running smoothly without admins having to continually advise users on how to optimise their boards. 

Suggest an answer