It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to change custom field type with ScriptRunner? Edited

Hello

I have introduced a custom field from an add-on I no longer expect to use, but this custom field has already been added in screens and also in many ServiceDesk request types.

I would like to "switch in-place" this custom field to a standard custom field (Text single-line) so that its identifier ID remains the same to avoid to rework all screens and request types.

I expect it should be possible with Script Runner, live in JIRA without restart, as far as a re-index is triggered after operation I guess. (you understand I am not interested in known KB referring to SQL updates and JIRA restart)

May you please help to design a script to operate such a custom field type switch?

Thank you in advance

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Jira itself cannot change the custom field type, so there's no API for Script Runner to call to in order to change it.I would add the new field, then

script something to read the old one into the newscript something to find where the field was used and add the new one (not replace, the API doesn't support that either)delete the old field (which will remove it from everywhere)

I'd say that your best bet is to create a new customfield, copy all values from the old field to the new and then go through all the schemes, screens and such, adding the new field (and removing the old) as needed. 

I thought about it but it is error prone. And scripting with JIRA CLI may be longer to design, with doubt ServiceDesk request type fields are handled...

I am simply curious to know if script runner is able to do it...

0 votes
Sebastian I'm New Here Sep 23, 2019

Scriptrunner can at least help with copying everything from one CustomField to another.

Addons -> Scriptrunner -> Built-in Scripts -> Copy custom field values

Thanks. It is a really useful feature !

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

260 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you