How to change custom field type with ScriptRunner?

Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

Hello

I have introduced a custom field from an add-on I no longer expect to use, but this custom field has already been added in screens and also in many ServiceDesk request types.

I would like to "switch in-place" this custom field to a standard custom field (Text single-line) so that its identifier ID remains the same to avoid to rework all screens and request types.

I expect it should be possible with Script Runner, live in JIRA without restart, as far as a re-index is triggered after operation I guess. (you understand I am not interested in known KB referring to SQL updates and JIRA restart)

May you please help to design a script to operate such a custom field type switch?

Thank you in advance

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2018

Jira itself cannot change the custom field type, so there's no API for Script Runner to call to in order to change it.I would add the new field, then

script something to read the old one into the newscript something to find where the field was used and add the new one (not replace, the API doesn't support that either)delete the old field (which will remove it from everywhere)
1 vote
Daniel Törnqvist January 26, 2018

I'd say that your best bet is to create a new customfield, copy all values from the old field to the new and then go through all the schemes, screens and such, adding the new field (and removing the old) as needed. 

Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

I thought about it but it is error prone. And scripting with JIRA CLI may be longer to design, with doubt ServiceDesk request type fields are handled...

I am simply curious to know if script runner is able to do it...

0 votes
Sebastian September 23, 2019

Scriptrunner can at least help with copying everything from one CustomField to another.

Addons -> Scriptrunner -> Built-in Scripts -> Copy custom field values

Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2019

Thanks. It is a really useful feature !

Suggest an answer