How to change Service Desk Customer email address?

Govardhan Muralidhar May 1, 2017

We have created a customer user account (user@companyemail.com) to send in support requests to jira service desk to auto create a case.  Customer has changed their email address to user@company.com.  System now is not auto creating cases as the email addresses do not match.  Is there a way for us to change the email address of the registered customer user?  Or should the customer change the email address by themselves?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

3 answers

4 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2017

Govardhan,

You can edit a customers email address of a service desk customer if you are an administrator on the JIRA system by going to Administration > User management.  You can search for the customer.  When you find them under actions there will be an "edit" link.  You can click this to change the email address.  You will most likely want to update the username as well since they will most likely be one and the same.  You might also want to let the user know you are doing this so they can login to the Service Desk Portal. Here is the KB article about editing users.  The user can also update their profile in the portal and change their email address.

Thanks
Brant

William October 11, 2017

I don't know if the recent UI changes have affected this but I can no longer change the e-mail address for our Service Desk customers. Please advise.

Like # people like this
Brett Flintoff November 13, 2017

This is impacting me today, and I'm sure this was an existing feature that is now missing (been removed). I am certain that in the past (service desk / portal) customers could update their email address through the JIRA Customer Portal, and Admins even had the ability to update the email address through Administrator Settings > Users > Service Desk Users > ...

Instead of delivering a good customer experience, I've had to ask one of our customers to compromise today and keep the existing email address alive until all their active tickets have all been resolved. Not ideal.

André Fabrício da Costa Leite January 30, 2018

@Brant Schroeder Any update to the situation that doesn allow anymore to update the user e-mail? 

Like # people like this
2 votes
Nicolas PR September 11, 2023

It has been two years since this post was last active, and I wanted to revive the discussion because I have a question regarding editing JSM (Jira Service Management) customer emails on cloud instances.

My question specifically relates to two aspects:

1. JSM: Is it possible to edit JSM customer emails? If so, could you please guide me on how to do it through both the GUI and API?
  2. Atlassian Access: Does Atlassian Access offer any features related to editing JSM customer emails?

Any help or guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2 votes
Vik November 13, 2017

I need an answer to this as well please. I can now only change a 'Portal Only' customer's name - I have users who are moving department and I want to be able to move their tickets with them to their new email address - I don't want to have to create new accounts for each email address they have/have had. 

Some of them really aren't tech savvy, so if they've got to convert to an Atlassian account just to be able to change their email address, I may never get them back...

Brett Flintoff November 13, 2017

Impacting me today. Hope Atlassian fixes this 'soon'.

Jerome_Mark_Wee November 16, 2017

It is impacting me as well. Was the issue had been raised to Atlassian?

Brett Flintoff November 16, 2017

I didn't raise the issue with Atlassian because I thought they might be monitoring the forum (and I don't know the URL for raising issues). Could you please log the issue @Jerome_Mark_Wee and give us the URL so we can (potentially) up-vote.

Jerome_Mark_Wee November 19, 2017

Hi @Brett Flintoff I have raised a ticket for this JSDCLOUD-5746. I have tried searching if there would be an existing issue but I couldn't find one.

Christian Sarrasin November 20, 2017

@Vik@Brett Flintoff@William@Govardhan Muralidharand anyone else who's affected: please all vote on @Jerome_Mark_Wee's ticket JSDCLOUD-5746

Unfortunately, it appears as a "suggestion" which probably means it's got next to zero chances of getting fixed in our lifetimes.  This is clearly a regression of some most basic functionality that needs to be addressed by Atlassian ASAP!

Vik November 20, 2017

Done - did it as soon as @Jerome_Mark_Wee put the ticket in.

Jerome_Mark_Wee November 20, 2017

@Christian Sarrasin I tried to log it as a "bug" first but it prevents me that's why I logged it as a "suggestion" I just hope that Atlassian give attention to this ASAP.

Deleted user November 23, 2020

Hey Miike Canon Brookes how about spending some money on fixing this stuff... unbelievable.

Like # people like this
Adam Evertsson January 29, 2021

Oh dear lord, how is this not possible to edit??? The automation of adding a name to an email address is so NOT intelligent, thus leaving us with several customers with erroneous names, causing confusion. 

Thank God we're phasing out JIRA and this hideous Service desk!

Like # people like this
Richard Schweizer November 9, 2021

Atlassian - please give us the ability to change the emails of our service desk customers!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer