How to change Project lead on 30 or more projects with JQL /SQL query

Leena Bakshi June 2, 2017

We have 500 user licenses and right now very few are left .That being said, We deactivate terminated users in Jira to reclaim the license back.

When I try to deactivate that user it throws a message saying that "Cannot Deactivate user because they are curently the Project lead on these projects : it could be anywhere from 5 to 30 Projects ( open and closed ones) "

So far before the Previous jira admins were changing Project lead on all these projects ( open/closed) manually. I dont want to get into that mess as it doesnot make sense to go in each project and change the lead. Is there any other effiecient way of doing this? may be some JQL query that I could use or some SQL query that I could give to my SQL DBA to run against the db

Also When I try to search for the Projects in Jira for this user, it only returns all Issues for her that were assigned to her or that she reported and not the Projects that she was a lead on.

Sorry for long post though.. 

2 answers

0 votes
Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 4, 2019

Hi @Leena Bakshi and @Thomas Schlegel ,

You can change project lead to any number of projects at once if you use Profields' Bulk Operations. See the documentation here.

For full disclosure, I work for Profields' manufacturer DEISER.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

Hi Leena,

I also have this problem frequently and did not find another way in the last ten years than go to the project and change the project lead or component lead.

Suggest an answer