How to change JIRA's temp directories

Deleted user July 14, 2017

Hello,

How to change JIRA's temp directories?

JIRA as well as the other Atlassian tools use two directories for temprary contents.

1. <Install-Directory\temp> Temp directory configured in the Java runtime, used by some  components write temporary files or lockfiles

2. <JIRA-Home\temp> Temp directory used for runtime functions.

We've configured those for Conflunce according to the following tutorial https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-home-and-other-important-directories-590259707.html

How to do the same for JIRA?

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2017

Hi Michael,

I tested this and the instructions in How to Change the Temporary Directory is what you're going to need to do.

The lines in the article are already there so you'll just need to search the file for the code block and make the changes.  Once you make that change you'll need to restart JIRA.

You can confirm the change before and after by searching for the following in your JIRA_INSTALL/logs/catalina.out file:

<java.io.tmpdir>

Cheers,

Branden

Deleted user July 17, 2017

Hi Branden! Thanks for your responce!

I've changed the java.io.tmpdir parameter in the catalina server. This wad one by the registry setting -Djava.io.tmpdir=<temp dir>. This seems to work well - at least the java.io.tmpdir has been changed according to the JIRA log.

Do you think we could use this method? I consider it much more cleaner than editing some scripts.

Do you know how to easily simulate JIRA to create some temp files to test if it actually works?

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2017

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the follow up and I'm happy to hear the JVM method worked for you.  I didn't get that to work in my instance but it may have just been my instance.

I would consider it cleaner as well and since you can verify it worked by seeing the

java.io.tmpdir

being set correctly at startup I wouldn't see an issue with that as it should be an application agnostic command.

In regards to simulating temp files that is something I wanted to do as well but I was unable to find a method to do so before answering.  I will continue to look and let you know if I do but as of now I haven't.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events