How to change 'Assignee' based on a custom field on the Create Issue screen?

Rumit Patel May 2, 2013

Hi,

I want to change the assignee field based on the value in the custom field.

For example, I have a cutom field called Location and it has 5 values. For the first 2 values of this custom field, the assignee should be a certain user1 and for the another 3 values, assignee should be a certain user 2. I do not want users to change the assignee and system should just assign the issue to the correct user based on the value of the Location field. How do I do this in JIRA?

I am not familiar with coding in JIRA and have recently started learning JIRA, so parden me if I have missed any straight forward funtion.

Regards,

Rumit

3 answers

0 votes
Jeremy Cejka August 29, 2013

Bhushan,

I get the script, but can you elaborate on exactly what post-function to use? Nothing really fits, nothing provides and area to just paste a script.

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2013

Hi,

Can you explain me more

I think that there are several ways to do this; javascipt, jjupi, jpython, develop a plugin,...

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2013

Hi Rumit,

Use Script Runner by Jamie Echlin

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

And to help you with the script, check this out

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/140304/groovy-post-script-to-assign-a-user-based-on-a-customfield

You will have to use it as a post-function in your issue creation step.

Rumit Patel September 11, 2013

Hi Bhushan,

Thank you for your answer. I tried the solution in the links above. However, I have few questions with that.

1. I added a scripted field to my 'Custom fields' and added the script in the link above. When I go to Post Function of the 'Create Issue', I see an 'Script Post-Function' option where it is asking me to provide a 'Script File Path'. I don't know what value I need to give here. Please advise

2. Let's consider that I somehow resolve point 1, but, what it will do is, it will change the 'Assignee' feild AFTER user has clicked 'CREATE' on the 'Create Issue' screen. Correct me if I am wrong. If my understanding is true then I would like to clarify here that, I want the following functionality:

On the 'CREATE ISSUE' screen, when user selects a 'Location', Assignee field should be automatically populated with an appropriate value WITHOUT waiting for user to click 'CREATE'. Let me know if this is achievable.

Regards,

Rumit

Suggest an answer