How to capture Jira updates History/revision?

Bala Krishna April 10, 2014

Hi,

As part of our development we want to capture the Jira-Issue revisions. for eg: we want to track the list of Revisions/History happens on the Jira Bug/Userstory. Is there a way to capture it...?

I thought of one approach I would like to create one text/numeric custom field and it should increment on every update..(jira-issue update). But I struck with this approach as increment is available with only state transitions.....

Could you please help me out.. Thanks in advance.

-Bala

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2014

There are no "revision" tracks. Issues are not static documents with clear "edit 1, edit 2, edit 3..." rules.

You need to define *exactly* what you need to think of as a revision. Yes, we can probably agree that updates to the description, summary, due date, etc are probably revisions, but comments representing a conversation? Work logs? Adding/removing a watcher? Code submits?

I don't think the concept of "revisions" is actually relevant or useful to an issue tracker. Status is important, detail is important, number of field updates... meh. But if you really do hve some valid need to think in terms of revisions, they you need to start by defining the rules of what you think is a revision before you can even start to track or code for it.

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2014

Hi,

I think that Jira already tracks all changes. You can see all changes by opening issue and choosing -> Activity -> All

Andris,

Bala Krishna April 10, 2014

I want to capture only the Revision number, lets say if the Bug is updated twice I need some fields to give revision as '2'.

Please let me know how we can acheive this.

Like Inna S likes this

Suggest an answer