• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to bulk edit the summary field

I need to add an additional common text ( heading of the parent issue) to all the subtasks. 

I tried doing this with bulk edit, but bulk editing of 'summary' field is not allowed in JIRA. 

I think JIRA should allow the bulk edit option for summary field ( only - 'add to existing text'). 

2 answers

Hi @Shiva Dainak 

If you're a Jira Admin, you can do this using CSV Import.

This is how I'd do it:

1. Go to Filters > Advanced Issue Search
  2. Search for all sub-tasks which need to be modified
  3. Make sure Summary is one of the visible columns, then press Export > Export Excel CSV (current fields)
  4. Modify the Summaries in Excel in bulk
  5. Ensure the Issue Key remains on the CSV file, along with the Summary, then re-save the file.
  6. Next, as a Jira Admin go to Settings > System > External System Import
  7. Select CSV, and follow the steps to upload your file. Ensure when mapping the fields you map "Key" to "Issue Key" so the importer updates the existing issues, rather than creating new ones

For more information on updating issues via CSV import, see this page - specifically the section Updating existing issues

Ste

Hi @Shiva Dainak and welcome to the community!

You can also use our Jira cloud app Advanced Bulk Edit for Jira to bulk edit the summary.

With our app you can:

• Add text as a prefix
  • Add text as a suffix
  • Replace terms with other terms (e.g. replace "bunny" with "rabbit)

Don't hesitate to contact our support if you have questions or feedback about Advanced Bulk Edit for Jira.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you