How to build custom template to be filled out inside project

Joan Strack March 13, 2015

Currently we have a project where the members have to fill out a word document and attach it to the project. My project manager wants me to build a way that the members can go inside the project in JIRA and fill out a custom form I've built so they don't have to attach a word document. I cannot find anything in the help files about this being able to be done. Does it have to be done with code?

3 answers

0 votes
Joan Strack March 18, 2015

Thanks to you both. I've been mulling over this for a few days now. If I make a custom template, can the user drop screen prints into it also? They do screen prints in their word doc for before and after testing. That's one thing I cannot do in my putting of this together.

Thanks!

0 votes
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2015

Creating an issue in JIRA is essentially filling out a form.  Can you just make the issue fields match those on the form?

0 votes
A March 13, 2015

You can use JIRA Service Desk to create a simple workflow with one step that contains a screen (i.e. custom template).  Once that's done, user can launch the workflow/link to fill out the info in the template and then submit. The submitted template will be captured in JIRA for you to track. 

As for how to create/config JIRA Service Desk workflow and screens, here is a link for your reference.  The example shows multiple steps in the workflow, but in your case, you probably just need a single step, i.e. "Create" that will let you launch the screen/template you will create and fill out what you need to fill out and click on the button "Create" to submit.  

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/Configuring+Workflow

It might appear to be more complicated, but it is really not.  No code is needed. Just a drag and drop. 

You can always search on "how to create a simple workflow using JIRA/JIRA Service Desk".  Or "How to create screens using JIRA/JIRA Service Desk".  Once you get the picture of what these two are all about, you will be able to put  them together and get what you need.   Try it.

Hope I understand what you need correctly and my info can be of some help!

Best luck!

Suggest an answer