How to be sure where my cloud based JIRA is located?

Urmas Kungla October 11, 2018

Hi

As state in this article, https://www.atlassian.com/trust/reliability/infrastructure, EU customers should get their cloud installation in Ireland.

How to make sure that my JIRA is in Ireland?

I need this information for GDPR purposes.

Urmas

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2018

Hi,

From your desktop computer, go to cmd.exe

in your cmd write the following command:

ping <my-company>.atlassian.net

doesn't matter if the ping success or not, you will have this message:

Pinging <my-company>.atlassian.net [11.111.111.111] with 32 bytes of data.

[11.111.111.111] - is the IP for your instance

Go to: https://www.iplocation.net/

search for the IP you just got from using ping in CMD (in this example 111.111.111)

you will get the details of your instance ping, which tell you your Jira location

Urmas Kungla October 11, 2018

Thank you! That verifies it. It's in Ireland :)

Tabea Blank February 22, 2019

Hi @Nir Haimov ,

I have done as you said. My Jira location points to Frankfurt, though. I heard that there was a Frankfurt Server announced, but there wasn't any further information. 
Can I report to my data protection officer that our data is currently (and from now on) stored in Frankfurt?

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2019

Hi @Tabea Blank ,

I think that you can, but you better verify it with Atlassian

0 votes
Nicolas Tagle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2022

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that this method is not accurate, because of routing tables depending on your country in may point to other ip's that are not necessarily your location.

Cheers

Suggest an answer