How to backup jira(6.0.2) automatically?

John Zhang June 12, 2014

I want to backup jira automatically?
1. For example, I want to bakcup it on 2:00am everyday to /home/jira. But I only see the Backup Service of Service in JIRA Admin, I can only edit the data format and delay two text.
2. At the same time, it can't backup jira interval 10 minutes when I set delay for 10 minutes, because I can't see the backup file in jira_home/exports after 10 minutes or 20 minutes even if I restart jira server or jira service.

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2014

John

As a best practice we recommend to use the database native backup tools. Per our documentation "When JIRA is in use, XML backups are not guaranteed to be consistent as the database may be updated during the backup process. JIRA does not report any warnings or error messages when an XML backup is generated with inconsistencies and such XML backups will fail during the restore process. Native database backup tools offer a much more consistent and reliable means of storing (and restoring) data while JIRA is active".

Cheers

Luciano Fagundes

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2014

1. For small Jiras, it's ok to use the automatic backup to xml, but as you say, you can't exactly schedule it neatly.

You would be far better off moving to the recommended backup method - use your database's standard tools to take a backup of the database. You'll be able to schedule those for when you want them.

2. What's the reasoning behind backing up every 10 minutes? That's far too frequent for internal backups, you're stressing your server for no benefits. Most people backup nightly, or sometimes half-daily (but if they're that concerned about data loss, they quickly move to database backups)

John Zhang June 14, 2014

Thanks for your reply. But I want to know why jira can't backup every 10 minutes(or more time) via the setting, this is the critical issue. 10 minutes is only for test.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2014

Because it hasn't been written that way. The basic backup service simply reuses the "repeat on a loop" scheduling that was built for other services. You can trigger a backup by hand as well, but there's no need for anything more advanced because if you genuinely need something more clever, you really should be using the database tools as I recommended before (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Backing+Up+Data)

Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2014

Hello John,

Please, see our official documentation for Automating JIRA Backups, I believe it will help you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Automating+JIRA+Backups

Cheers.