How to backup JIRA? (w/ MySQL instance)

Tobias Hoffmann October 25, 2016

Hi there,

i have successfully setted up my JIRA Starter Edition on a Windows 10 machine, within an own MySQL server instance (v5.7) running.

Now i am struggling in how to manage the Backup. How can i save the DB? Which directories of JIRA should be backed up?

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks!

tobi

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016

Why aren't you using the built in backup process?

it doesnt save the DB?!

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2016

It saves ALL the data and configuration. I don't understand the distinction? It doesn't save attachments, but they aren't stored in the DB.

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2016

I would back it all up, as they contain all kinds of config-files, java keystores, addons and attachments so if installed in c:\atlassian\jira\ and c:\atlassian\application-data\JIRA i would back both those up. The database is backed up using:

mysqldump.exe <databasename> -u<username> -p<password> > c:\jira.database.sql

Not huge on windows mysql nor windows Atlassian deployments, so your paths most likely differ.

Hey Jonas,

thanks for the fast answer! Yeah they differ indeed but i already found the correct ones. Do i have to add anything before the mysqldumb.exe line? stopping the database or isnt it necessary?

Regards

If i do the mysql dump the .sql file is 0kb.

but should be >6MB

Suggest an answer